Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: iLevil AP

Default iLevil AP

Has anyone installed the iLevil AP successfully on their Fox yet? I'd love to not be the first... They aren't being very forthcoming about flaperon compatibility, so it's got me a little nervous.
    Brian Cass
    KF Model IV Speedster
    Rotax 912UL

Default Re: iLevil AP

This was discussed a few months ago, I may have started that as I was interested in that AP as well. Hopefully there will be more who will respond with additional information. JImChuk

Thanks Jimchuk. Yeh, I bought and installed the box over a year ago and have enjoyed the EFIS. But, holding off on the autopilot until I am confident as to what to do. Based on experiences from others with flaperons (not Kitfox) I feel like it will either be perfectly fine or it will not have enough authority, requiring a trim tab on both sides.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Brian Cass
    KF Model IV Speedster
    Rotax 912UL

I have the Levil AP as well but plane is not yet in the air. I too am curious about whether the trim tabs will have enough authority. Waiting patiently.

I watched one of iLevil's live streams a few months ago and asked about this. The answer was they are recommending two trim tabs for flaperons, and are working on the software implementation to do so. I guess they tried with a 'reversed splitter' type connection, but that wasn't ideal.

Still waiting...

My main fear is flutter on the flaperon. I disconnected my flaperons to see how much weight i'd need to add to the counter-weights and determined that they are not balanced to start with. If they were, i'd have these trim tabs installed by now. Anyone have any thoughts on avoiding flutter with these things? If i do as Levil Aviation says and make it so the flaperons balance with the AP trim tabs on, should I be OK or might they need to be a little aft CG like they are now? If they need to be aft CG, then I could try to keep the CG where it is now. Of course i'm talking about the CG of the flaperon while disconnected, not the whole plane.
    Brian Cass
    KF Model IV Speedster
    Rotax 912UL