Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: One KF Stolen & One KF Burgled at N. Las Vegas Airport VGT

Default One KF Stolen & One KF Burgled at N. Las Vegas Airport VGT

I suppose it is the one phone call all aircraft owners dread: come to the airport and see if your airplane has been burgled or stolen! I got that dreaded call this week. My Kitfox was burgled and I lost a set of headsets, a handheld GPS Antenna, Stratus ADSB-B In Unit, and miscellaneous wires. The other KitFox on the field was stolen and had a “hard landing” off field near Barstow (CA) Airport (KDAG). No more details on the condition of the other KF, but I heard it was trailered away from the scene.

The thief was arrested by law enforcement after he tried to flee the scene. He is from Nampa, ID and possesses a student pilot certificate from 2018. Apparently the miscreant also busted the Las Vegas Class B while departing VGT. There were several other aircraft that were burgled at the field around the same period. Interestingly, he left several iPhone charge cords and a receipt from a local bar in my airplane.

Definitely not a good start to the new year.

https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/349532

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...t/72094464007/

https://amsrvs.registry.faa.gov/airmeninquiry/Main.aspx
    Michael Meyers
    KF IV
    Las Vegas, NV

Default Re: One KF Stolen & One KF Burgled at N. Las Vegas Airport VGT

Student pilot with booze and marijuana, landing off field at night and he is able to walk away!

https://www.fox5vegas.com/2024/01/03...outputType=amp
    Michael Meyers
    KF IV
    Las Vegas, NV

Michael,

Sorry about the bad luck of having your aircraft molested. Hope you can get some insurance recovery and get it all back together soon.

Do you know if the stolen aircraft is repairable?
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

I saw a news blurb about the stolen Kitfox and wondered if it belonged to someone here.
    The article didn't say anything about the other burglarized planes like yours.

Some people!
    Kitfox 5 (under construction)
    Commercial SE/ME, CFII

Quote Originally Posted by Dave S View Post
    Michael,

Sorry about the bad luck of having your aircraft molested. Hope you can get some insurance recovery and get it all back together soon.

Do you know if the stolen aircraft is repairable?
    Jeff is a member of Team Kitfox so I’ll let him comment on the condition of his plane if he chooses to.
    Michael Meyers
    KF IV
    Las Vegas, NV

Quote Originally Posted by alexM View Post
    I saw a news blurb about the stolen Kitfox and wondered if it belonged to someone here.
    The article didn't say anything about the other burglarized planes like yours.

Some people!
    The Airport Manager is compiling a list of those victimized and the Airport Pilots Group is putting something together on Facebook.
    Michael Meyers
    KF IV
    Las Vegas, NV

On the night of the theft, I received a call from search and rescue that my ELT was activated and was there a problem. I said, "Yes, the problem is that I don't own the airplane and more and it was now owned by someone else and was based at an airport in Las Vegas." I gave the caller the owner's name and phone number. I almost did not answer my phone because the number from S&R wasn't something I recognized. Turns out the owner was ove the same mind, being at a movie, and dismissed three calls from the same number until after he got out of the movie.

The owner contacted me later and told me the KF5 had been stolen and crash landed near the Barstow airport and that it would have to be towed back to Las Vegas since it bent the fuselage and had a prop strike. He was able to start the engine and taxi it to the airport some three miles away and get it to a tie down. He was working on getting it trailered when we last spoke.

Make a mental note, guys, to always, always, always check to be sure your hidden kill switch is turned off. I have great compassion for the owner.

As a side note, my first Kitfox is still registered so, I assume it is still flying after 20 years since it was certified.
    EAA, AOPA
    KF5 (N49FK & N36KJ)
    Phoenix, AZ

Some guy from Nampa, Idaho (the former home of Kitfox) steals a Kitfox in Las Vegas. What are the odds?
    Maxwell Duke

Kitfox S6 IO-240 Built it (Flying since 2003)
    Maule M7-235C Sold it (liked it though)
    RV-10 IO-540 Bought it
    Zenith CH-750 Built with 7 friends (DAR Vic Syracuse)

Quote Originally Posted by N981MS View Post
    Some guy from Nampa, Idaho (the former home of Kitfox) steals a Kitfox in Las Vegas. What are the odds?
    We notice that too. Only two KF’s on the field. He tried to steal mine and successfully stole the other KF.
    Michael Meyers
    KF IV
    Las Vegas, NV