Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone have info on the model 5 crash in Arizona on Friday?

Default Does anyone have info on the model 5 crash in Arizona on Friday?

I heard there was Kitfox 5 crash in Arizona on Friday with 1 fatality. No details.
    SS7 O-200 Whirlwind

Default Re: Does anyone have info on the model 5 crash in Arizona on Friday?

A friend sent me this:
    https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=348717

No real information
    Dave
    KitFox 6 Taildragger
    912 ULS
    Whirlwind 70” Prop
    Garmin G3x
    All around nice guy

Numerous articles about the crash can be found online. Pretty small debris field with aircraft destroyed by fire.

Rick

The pilot has been identified as Kenneth Szeluga of Tucson.
    Our sincerest condolences to Ken’s family and friends on his passing. Blue skies and fair winds Ken.
    Always sad to lose one of our Kitfox community members.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Preliminary investigation has revealed that a blade separated from the propeller causing engine separation, and loss of control. The propeller was a two blade ground adjustable NR unit from Ukraine installed on a 160hp Lycoming.
    Ken was a good friend, a terrible loss for his family, and all of his friends.

Oh that’s too bad! Hopefully we can get more info as lots are running the NR props.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

I have a NR prop on each of my Kitfox 4s. Both have the 912 Rotax for power, and I would think the Lycoming with it's direct drive puts much more stress on the prop than the Rotax. So hopefully there is no issue with the vast majoritiy of NR props. Sad for Ken though none the less. JImChuk

Lots of variables I am sure. Carbon does not do well in the sun, and hours are definitely a factor. Sad deal to lose a fellow kitfoxer because of something that should not be a worry. I always have in the back of my mind, may lose and engine, but never a prop?
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Patrick, again let me say how sorry I am to hear of the loss of Ken. Please accept my condolences and if possible, pass on to Ken’s family and good friends how saddened we are here on TeamKitfox to lose one of our family members.
    From your posts, it sounds as though the investigation will have some direction to focus on as far as a possible cause of the accident. If it turns out to be a blade separation on take off, the actual reason may be somewhat more difficult to pin point without a deeper dive by the investigators.
    Hopefully enlightenment will come with time on causation, however in the meantime, check your props regularly regardless of manufacturer or which engine you fly behind.
    Rest in eternal peace Ken.🙏

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

And use a safety cable to keep the engine from departing the plane and retain some measure of control.