Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Several quick questions

Default Several quick questions

Good morning,

1. Are there any sort of standard or common plans for wing and fuselage rotisseries? I've built a wing rotisserie, but it's generally bulky and likely overbuilt.
    2. Can someone point me to a high level build sequence overview. I finished my fuselage, and I am starting on my wings, and one thing that bugging me is push-pull rod adjustments. I've looked ahead and see that's done during Final Assembly. It makes sense that I can't adjust the rods until all control surfaces are in place, but it seems like this would be much easier to do while there's no fabric on the plane.
    3. And, I have a similar question for other assemblies. There seems to be lots of instances of installing parts to aid with assembly, and then parts are removed and then re-installed after everything is covered in fabric. However, once things are covered in fabric, reassembly is going to be a booger.

Thanks,

Steve

PS - apologies if these are old/tired topics, but searching this site is a challenge.

Default Re: Several quick questions

I'll attempt to answer from my perspective on my SS7:
    1) Not aware of any "common" rotisserie plans; we just look at what others have done and go from there. The only thing common is a 2x4 with pvc pipe glued in to fit the front and rear wing spars, and a way to support and rotate it above the floor. Just a pivot bolt, washers and a wing nut is fine. Others have made fancier friction mechanisms. The two stands can be on casters or not, your choice. The can be connected together at the bottom with a long 2x4 or not. Mine were never connected and worked just fine, and were easier to store later.
    2) You are overstressing on the push-pull rods adjustment after fabric covering. All of the rod ends are easily accessible after fabric except the middle one in the tail cone. For that one I strongly suggest installing a circular access ring in the fabric on the belly directly under the elevator middle swing arm. It will also be of great convenience later when you need to inspect and lube these joint during annuals. For now just install the push-pull rod ends so the little inspection hole is covered (this gives minimum thread engagement). Then during final adjustment make sure you don't back out the thread beyond this hole.
    3) Again don't stress too much about this. The only area hard to access after fabric covering is the tail cone, so leave those parts in.

Hope this helps some.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

[QUOTE=sshort21;110149]Good morning,

1. Are there any sort of standard or common plans for wing and fuselage rotisseries? I've built a wing rotisserie, but it's generally bulky and likely overbuilt.
    2. Can someone point me to a high level build sequence overview. I finished my fuselage, and I am starting on my wings, and one thing that bugging me is push-pull rod adjustments. I've looked ahead and see that's done during Final Assembly. It makes sense that I can't adjust the rods until all control surfaces are in place, but it seems like this would be much easier to do while there's no fabric on the plane.
    3. And, I have a similar question for other assemblies. There seems to be lots of instances of installing parts to aid with assembly, and then parts are removed and then re-installed after everything is covered in fabric. However, once things are covered in fabric, reassembly is going to be a booger.

Good day Steve. Wing rotisseries come in all forms. Mine are simple and worked just fine. See them at about 4:40 in this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cn6roenIAF8

You can set your push pull elevator rods pretty much before the covering is on. I also set my Flaperons before covering then rechecked after final assembly.

There are some very hard parts to final install like the elevator and rudder, but you will be such a pro by then you won't notice! haha

Harlan
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Flying FarmFox STI Kitfox N61HP
    Rotax 915is, Airmaster prop.
    https://www.youtube.com/@KitfoxPilot/videos

I agree with the others - it might be easy to stress over stuff that has to be done, which you will find out is not that bad.

On the plus side, think of it all as "Airplane Yoga" - this is how we keep in shape to pass our next physical

Quote Originally Posted by sshort21 View Post
    Good morning,

Thanks,

Steve

PS - apologies if these are old/tired topics, but searching this site is a challenge.
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN