Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Dumb Question For The Day - Windshield Coating

Default Dumb Question For The Day - Windshield Coating

Was looking at the airplane being outside in the sun more for stuff I am working on and worried about cooking that plastic coating covering the inside/outside of the windscreen. When do most people decide it's time to peel that stuff off. Ten minutes before the DAR shows up? Right after finally mounting the windscreen? I know. It's dumb but I also don't want to wind up like some have on the flaperons where it takes an act of Congress to get the plastic off if you wait too long.

Thanks ahead of time for any input.

Gary
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Leavenworth (Not the Prison), WA
    Kitfox STi N68SG

Default Re: Dumb Question For The Day - Windshield Coating

My windscreen sat in the barn for two years before getting to it. Never sat in the sun for any length of time so I cannot speak to that. Once the doors and windscreen were on permanently, I took the protective coatings off. It came off easy.
    Almost immediately I scratched the door! Lol. Oh well, stuff happens so they say, and life goes on. It buffed out.

The flaperon protective coating was a whole other animal. I had to use paint stripper!
    To be fair it did protect the skin (to a degree) and they were stored in a barn for a long time (1998 build).
    Also had to flush the flaperons with warm water to remove the mud dauber nests! Fun? not so much.

With a fresh build within a few years, I think that would mitigate the stuff I had to deal with.
    If you're through grinding, sawing and making dust and grit in your shop, I say you're ready to peel that stuff off!

Just put away the sharp objects around the acrylic!
    "Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive." Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: N46KF, 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul 110hp, G3x with 2 axis a/p, Beringer wheels & brakes, SS7 firewall forward, NR prop, Custom paint

Default Re: Dumb Question For The Day - Windshield Coating

Quote Originally Posted by bbs428 View Post
    My windscreen sat in the barn for two years before getting to it. Never sat in the sun for any length of time so I cannot speak to that. Once the doors and windscreen were on permanently, I took the protective coatings off. It came off easy.
    Almost immediately I scratched the door! Lol. Oh well, stuff happens so they say, and life goes on. It buffed out.
    With a fresh build within a few years, I think that would mitigate the stuff I had to deal with.
    If you're through grinding, sawing and making dust and grit in your shop, I say you're ready to peel that stuff off!

Just put away the sharp objects around the acrylic!
    Thanks Brett. Kind of what I was thinking but not sure about the dust and grit thing yet so I'll probably hold short a bit.

G
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Leavenworth (Not the Prison), WA
    Kitfox STi N68SG