Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Battery installation a Model 7 with 915 Is

Default Battery installation a Model 7 with 915 Is

I am just getting ready to put the firewall on my model seven. I will be using a Rotax 915 engine. In planning things out, I am trying to decide on the best location for the battery. I plan on using an earth X battery. Looking through the engine installation manual, see that the factory recommends that the battery be placed behind the passengers. I was wondering if anyone has put an earth X battery up front on the engine side of the firewall. I looked through the forum posts, but couldn’t seem to find this particular question. I would appreciate any input. Thank you.

Fred

Default Re: Battery installation a Model 7 with 915 Is

Hi Fred. I'm by no means an expert, but the factory recommends putting the battery in a tray behind the luggage compartment in order to offset the additional weight of the 915. If there's room for the EarthX on the firewall it might work fine (would sure save weight, especially considering all the wiring), but you may end up having to add weight to the tail to get your CG correct. Again, just going off what I've learned and been told during our build.

We're running the extended extended baggage (added one more bay and modified the baggage sack), and put the tray behind that. Standard AGM battery.
    F16FF892-19DD-4EBA-B060-4DFB07BA99BB.jpg
    Jason B.
    Phase 1 - S7 STi
    Dynon | 915is

Default Re: Battery installation a Model 7 with 915 Is

I have a 915 with MT prop with the Earthx mounted on the firewall. I have all remote avionics which I mounted about a foot farther back than the battery would usually go so W/B is very close to what the factory built are and I lost a ton of weight. I can send you pictures but I had trouble uploading to the forum. Either send me an email or you can view pictures on the EAA Builders log. jnjbird@mac.com

Quote Originally Posted by Doggitz View Post
    I am just getting ready to put the firewall on my model seven. I will be using a Rotax 915 engine. In planning things out, I am trying to decide on the best location for the battery. I plan on using an earth X battery. Looking through the engine installation manual, see that the factory recommends that the battery be placed behind the passengers. I was wondering if anyone has put an earth X battery up front on the engine side of the firewall. I looked through the forum posts, but couldn’t seem to find this particular question. I would appreciate any input. Thank you.

Fred