Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Taildragger Conversion

Question Taildragger Conversion

I am considering buying a used KitFox4. It was not originally built as convdrtiable from tricycle to tail wheel, but last owner had it modified. The A&P tat did the conversion told me that the mains are located where they were originally, all he did was add what was needed to install that tricycle gear. Conversion is simply removing the nose wheel assembly, and putting the wheel (tire) on the rear. What is bothering me, is the mains are located toward the rear of the door, and most of the pictures i see of tail dragger KitFoxes side the mains quite a bit forward of that (more near the front of the door). I know the A&P and I believe him when he tells me the mains are where they where when it was a tail dragged —- but still, they seem too far aft to me and I can’t find any pictures of KitFoxes with he means that far aft. If any of you can provide any insight on this I would appreciate it.

Default Re: Taildragger Conversion

I don’t know anything about the model 4 but this doesn’t sound correct. The model 6-7 have two different points to attach the main gear. One towards the rear of the door (for tricycle) and another mounting point towards the front of the door (for tailwheel config). Possibly the A and P was trying to say that they have two different attach points. It’s possible that someone welded in some additional attach points prior to covering the fuselage with fabric.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ben Bell
    Building 7 super sport
    O200 powered

Hoisting the BS flag on that.
    Taildragger, mains are towards the front of the door
    Trike, mains are towards the back.
    Same airplane as a trike and a taildragger
    IMG_0617.jpg
    IMG_0706.jpg
    Dave
    KitFox 6 Taildragger
    912 ULS
    Whirlwind 70” Prop
    Garmin G3x
    All around nice guy

The Kitfox 4 gear does mount toward the back of the door when in taildragger configuration.

20200705_071713.jpg
    John Brannen
    Morris, IL
    Sonerai IIL (Single Seat)
    Kitfox 3/4 1050 - Rotax 582 (Back Flying and sold)
    Kitfox IV 1050 - Rotax 582 (sold)
    Kitfox IV 1200 Speedster - Rotax 912 UL (project)
    Piper Twin Comanche (Sold)
    Glasair 1 FT (Waiting to start)

Quote Originally Posted by 109JB View Post
    The Kitfox 4 gear does mount toward the back of the door when in taildragger configuration.

20200705_071713.jpg
    Ahh.. like I said I know nothing about the -4 but it looks as if you could “almost” swap the gear legs left and right to move the mains fore or aft. Of coarse this would most likely require some mods to the gear. Just me thinking out loud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ben Bell
    Building 7 super sport
    O200 powered

I am assuming you have Grove gear? There is a different mount to locate forward (taildragger) or rear (nose roller)
    If you need the rear mounts I have a pair you can have for the price of freight from NZ .
    The original style nosegear uses the mount under the lift strut as the rearmost attach point. The taildragger gear uses the two mounts between the lift strut and float mount
    Last edited by Dusty; 05-13-2022 at 03:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
    I am assuming you have Grove gear? There is a different mount to locate forward (taildragger) or rear (nose roller)
    If you need the rear mounts I have a pair you can have for the price of freight from NZ .
    The original style nosegear uses the mount under the lift strut as the rearmost attach point. The taildragger gear uses the two mounts between the lift strut and float mount
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyHelsing View Post
    I am considering buying a used KitFox4. It was not originally built as convdrtiable from tricycle to tail wheel, but last owner had it modified. The A&P tat did the conversion told me that the mains are located where they were originally, all he did was add what was needed to install that tricycle gear. Conversion is simply removing the nose wheel assembly, and putting the wheel (tire) on the rear. What is bothering me, is the mains are located toward the rear of the door, and most of the pictures i see of tail dragger KitFoxes side the mains quite a bit forward of that (more near the front of the door). I know the A&P and I believe him when he tells me the mains are where they where when it was a tail dragged —- but still, they seem too far aft to me and I can’t find any pictures of KitFoxes with he means that far aft. If any of you can provide any insight on this I would appreciate it.
    Thanks to everyone. Most of you have the same opinion I hand, I thing the A and P is wrong - mains need to move forward if in tricycle mode. I have not seen the pane yet, going to look at it in about 10 days, but maybe it will be cleared when I see it. Here is a photo if that helps.DC1B3020-5DF1-4D3A-9CC4-9F6497960039.jpg

So here is another possibility. On the 4, with the gear design, if you put the right gear on the left, and the left on the right, it will change the location of the axel to be proper location for either conventional or Tri gear.

The attach points on the fuselage are the same. That may be part of the confusion.

Ralph
    Ralph
    Kitfox 3 flying
    Building Kitfox SS7 (RockFox)
    915iS Engine
    Building Partner Victor V

Take a look at the pictures in my classified ad.

https://teamkitfox.com/Forums/thread...ALE-Nose-Wheel

There are different grove mounts that attach to the forward attach points for taildragger and aft for nose wheel.