Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Sticky ABI-3224 tailwheel on a T-3 tailspring

Default Sticky ABI-3224 tailwheel on a T-3 tailspring

First of all, I have been running my ABI-3224 tailwheel on my T-3 tailspring for 200 hours now and absolutely love it. They are expensive but worth it in my opinion if you do backcountry.

Despite greasing the tailwheel every 10hrs, it started to get sticky and prevent smooth control of the rudder and would stick and jump. Never any danger but it did make me look like a beginner on final. I contacted Alaska Bushwheels and this is what they suggested:

Hey Dan,
    Couple things to look at here. First, I would check the tension in your steering chains. They should have just a little slack, as they can work somewhat against each other when too tight. Often that "sticky" feeling is the springs on the chain connectors stretching. Second, I would check to make sure the nut on the pivot bolt is not over-torqued. Rule of thumb is to tighten firmly on reassembly, then back off until fork moves without undue resistance. If neither of these troubleshooting options applies, you should inspect the internal components of the tailwheel for excessive wear/missing or shifted parts. Also, if you are running all 5 compression springs in your tailwheel, you can take 2 out and only run with 3. It's very common on lighter aircraft to run only 3 springs and doing so can give your tailwheel freer movement. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Its the last suggestion that made the tailwheel smooth as silk again, removing two of the five compression springs (part #7 on the diagram). As an aside, the tailwheel is well engineered and is easy to take apart and clean, just keep the assembly diagram handy to make sure you get everything back in.
    Screen Shot 2022-04-12 at 7.25.06 AM.jpg

Default Re: Sticky ABI-3224 tailwheel on a T-3 tailspring

Thanks for these tips. I think I still have all 5 springs in my Scott 3200.

Personally I like the chains under a little tension so that I get more immediate steering response. Disclaimer: This is my preference. It does make the steering more sensitive and could lead to over controlling if you are not used to it like that. Having the chains loose is kind of like having play in you car's steering wheel, where you turn it back and forth with no steering happening. Loose chains on an aircraft means you will be doing a more dancing on the rudder pedals with a softer, slower response.

The only other thing I would add is that it is best practices to totally disassemble the pivot assembly every annual. Clean and inspect all the parts and regrease it during reassembly.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

I have been waffling on this so thanks for you input! The T-3 tailspring makes this adjustment a bit tricky because at low speeds, the weight on the tailwheel compresses the tailspring which loosens the chains. If you adjust it so that its taught while sitting then its really tight when the tailwheel is in the air.

Quote Originally Posted by PapuaPilot View Post
    The only other thing I would add is that it is best practices to totally disassemble the pivot assembly every annual. Clean and inspect all the parts and regrease it during reassembly.
    Now that I have seen this issue, I totally agree with you. I did not do this at my last annual but have added it to my list for the next one.

Just a side note. Chain tension recommendations made here are for the aforementioned tailwheel. Be certain you follow the manufactures recommendations for your specific tailwheel. I made the mistake and nearly ground looped mine at 25hrs while using the MATCO that comes with the base kit.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X