Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Extra tank for long flights

Default Re: Extra tank for long flights

jealous of you lower 48er's copious runways. Sadly it does not work that way up here. Gross weight is secondary to survival. that being said, I can attest the KF7 STi will fly perfectly at 1700+ lbs when leaned on. Let me remind you im 160+ hp. I know its baffling to the mind. For us its completely normal. welcome to the last frontier, where true aviation still exists and the FAA is a joke. I can see your brains clutching in real time. Someday7 mentioned flying up here and wanting fuel onboard to do so. I commend you. My advise is be able to carry as much as possible safely. Lower 48'ers can surely provide their input. If you plan to fly up here you have to be able to carry enough gas to land safely. Guess what now you landed at an airstrip that shows it has fuel and due to remote location hasnt had a resupply in months. Carry enough gas to fly the entire mission. Then add extra. If the doors shut itll fly. If this post, in any way hits you wrong, do not bother coming up. period.
    Last edited by Denalifox; 04-08-2022 at 11:28 PM.
    S7 STi O-320 currently flying

I'm in total agreement! But will mention that I am in the lower 48 and getting fuel can be a struggle at times here also. I've done a bit of cross coutry flying and can definitely say that we have the same problem down here with fuel availability at times. I can't tell you how many times I have landed at some out of the way airport and either there is no fuel available or the pump doesn't work. Actually last weekend it happened to me. Got to an airport and the pump wouldn''t work with my credit card. Numerous calls to the the CC company said it had to be a pump issue. Of course it was a small town and NO ONE on their call list was available to answer a call.

Ended up going another 40 miles to a different airport to get fuel. Luckily I had plenty to get there. This same thing has happened several times over the years. Ironically, a friend and I are planning a flight to Montana this summer and we just happened to be discussing this issue since it happened to him last year crossing ND and MT. He flies a Scout with 70 gallons capacity so he was able to get to another airport also.

I always depart on full tanks when even going for a cross country even if it is only 100 miles. If I am just flying within 50 miles of my strip, I fly with whatever I know I will need to get there and back with reserves.

A friend recently completed a tour of landing at every runway in Oklahoma. Flew to the western panhandle and had the "credit card not working" scenario. Luckily it was an attended strip and the FBO took cash. He is a 4000+ hour pilot and is always over prepared and had plenty of reserve but he likes having extra gas.
    Interesting to see what everyone is doing for aux gas. Just got airworthiness cert on my S7 and plan on heading to Alaska sometime so appreciate the ideas.

Jerrytex found the link to the maker of these things. Thanks Jerry. I was looking over the site and the big bart model would hold 27 gallons of gas if the vessel was fuel safe. Also says something about custom molding and other options. Wonder if it would be possible, (if enough were interested), to have these made up with fuel safe material and do a group buy? Regular bart would hold 21 gallons. mini bart would hold 18 gallons.
    Starfox

Quote Originally Posted by SomeDay7 View Post
    I’m buy some geritol and depends for your trouble.
    Somebody asked me if I wear boxers or briefs. I answered depends.

Mostly on my mood and sometimes its a crazy print.
    BTW, Insure taste better than Geritol and with age comes an enlarged prostate, smaller bladder and most importantly wisdom, humility and humbleness.
    Last edited by desertdave; 04-13-2022 at 04:47 PM.
    Dave
    KitFox 6 Taildragger
    912 ULS
    Whirlwind 70” Prop
    Garmin G3x
    All around nice guy

I am inquisitive. A forum is to get answers. I am asking for wisdom not snide remarks. The humility of it all makes it a question of why am I here. I am humbled by being to on point about every thing to make our adventures better. Signing off and will have adventures for some time.
    Starfox