Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: She flies great! Add a Kitfox IV-1200 to our fleet!

Default She flies great! Add a Kitfox IV-1200 to our fleet!

Robert Forsyth, and the Building of my Kitfox N369SG

Bob Forsyth approached the military system differently than I did.

I was the "perfect little soldier" destined to be in the Army for life, and Bob, well, the exact opposite. He could really fly that Scout helicopter, man he was good... but his wearing of cowboy boots, etc didn't exactly fit in well in some corners of the Army in Vietnam. In short, Bob "escaped his unit" and went AWOL to join Charlie Troop. That caught my immediate attention! Amazing!

Over the following months we grew very close. We really enjoyed teaming up together on missions.... but no time for war stories!

Life went on after Nam. Our lives paralleled each other in marriage, then divorce; each having a daughter in our second marriages, back surgeries, etc.

During a few of our routine phone calls in 2011, he told me about wanting to buy an aircraft, so he was out refreshing his piloting skills in preparation of flying again.

In November of 2011, after a couple weeks of deer hunting on Dennis Burgess and Judy's Kansas farm, I stopped by Bob's home south of Phoenix. There he pulled out his already built and flying Model 2 Kitfox. In short, I was HOOKED!

I purchased my Kitfox in July of 2012... "some assembly required!" LMAO!! YEAH!!

I bought an empty fuselage and several wooden crates of parts and materials. Its called "insanity." It was a 32 foot long wingspan, model airplane kit! Ten thousand pieces, all in marked bags. Heaven help me!

The "build" commenced!

Bob and I increased our talks to 5-6 nights a week, as he fed me photos and information as to how his was built... an hour every night just talking... month after month, as she took shape. It wasn't long before she looked like an airplane!

Bob called me on evening of October 22, 2015. He wasn't feeling well, and he was in the hospital. I didn't feel a bit optimistic, so the very next morning at dawn, I kissed Stephanie goodbye, and drove to Arizonia. The next day,, the morning of October 24th, found me holding Bob's hand as we talked. He wanted to paint a model train engine, go bass fishing, .....and over the next four hours he got sleepier... he went to sleep a little after 1pm... I still held his hand... he passed away about 6:35pm or so if I remember correctly.

I returned to California in tears, and lost every bit of motivation to finish my Kitfox. Every time I opened the hangar door, my eyes saw Bobby.... Bob was everywhere in this aircraft's DNA. I closed the hangar door. It was impossible to finish even one task a year. The build stopped. The months passed by.

Vaughn Lane was a Cobra Aircraft Commander like I was. We were in the same unit, at the same time, and... well, he knows me me far too well, and he knows how to push my buttons in a "motivational manner!" He knew Bob, and he knew what we had been up to.

"Ya gotta finish her, and dedicate her to Bob. You can't walk away from this, because you will regret it at some point. Etc...etc..." Vaughn was right... he literally kicked me in the butt to finish. He was firm, he was consistent, he was exactly what I needed. His phone calls prodded me along. He knew that the "guilt trip" was the ONLY thing that would get me to suck it up and finish the Kitfox.

2021, October 1st...after encouragement from my wonderful wife Stephanie, my family, Denise Duncan at the airport that morning, I took off. On the second trip around the traffic pattern, I turned "downwind" looked out to the horizon... tears immediately formed... I thought of Bob and how much of a part he has been in my life... how I wish he would have lived to see this moment. I said outloud, "Bob this flight is dedicated to you bro."

With a pending, descending left hand turn to base approaching rapidly, I had to get my emotions back in check. I wiped away the tears, and held the downwind leg a few extra seconds... "Suck it up Grover, you have pilot stuff to do here." They were my thoughts, but I'm sure Bob sent them to me.

"Our Kitfox" flys Bob... and she flys really well. I dedicate her to your memory. I love ya bro.

####################

During this journey there have been some wonderful people who have had a physical involvement with this Kitfox. I didn't do this alone.

I wish to acknowledge with grateful thanks:

My bride Stephanie, who encouraged me and supported every bit of this dream. She understood my depression after Bob's passing. She gave me space, and love. Without her, this would never have happened. My family deserves more than thanks for their love and encouragement.

Lowell Fitt, now of Goodyear Arizona, was my irreplaceable mentor throughout this build. (He has built two.) Lowell was amazing at helping me get the details right. A tremendous help along the entire build! He let me photograph every inch of his Model 4-1200. He has "the knowledge," and freely shares it. He had to have answered a thousand of my questions.

Fred Williams of Adventure Flying, LLC is the absolute best Kitfox instructor anywhere. His expert instruction, patience, encouragement, and friendship made my first flight safe and rewarding. He has put up with me flying for THREE summers in a row in the Idaho Backcountry! Fred's encouragement for this first flight is greatly appreciated.

Joey Myers is a retired Air Force, Avid pilot who is a dear friend who dispenses the correct amount and frequency of encouragement. (He REALLY knows Avids and Kitfox's.) I am also grateful for his friendship, and for "covering my 6!)

Greg Smith of Smith and Sons Welding who has put together a killer aircraft trailer for hauling the Kitfox to the airport. He took my simple ideas and drawings, and added a far higher level of functionality to the trailer than I had imagined. I thank him mentally every time I look at his steel masterpiece.

EXTRA SPECIAL THANK YOU to John and Debra for continuing to support our models. Without their complete support, we would not be able to get our aircraft in the air and keep them flying. HUGE thank you's to everyone at the Kitfox factory!!

These kinds of friends are extremely hard to find. Hopefully they realize how grateful I am. I am trying my best to tell them personally. I know I am blessed to know them all.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Grover Wright
    Flying a KF IV-1200
    ROTAX 912UL

Default Re: She flies great! Add a Kitfox IV-1200 to our fleet!

Great story and a fine tribute.

Enjoy.

Ralph

Wow! very nice all the way around. Hope you have lots of fun flying the plane that you and "others" built. Good for you, now enjoy the fruits of your labors! JImChuk

A touching story, well told Grover. I’m happy for you, and your kitfox looks really sweet! Congratulations!!
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Thanks for sharing the background history; it gives much more significance to the finished product - which is great looking by the way. Every flight you take will have extra meaning and maybe a shared purpose. Congrats.

Grover,

Congratulations on a job well done! You'll never forget that.

Like the story also. In my case, I think about my dad who didn't have much, but managed to get me some stick time in a C-120 back in high school (you know, when the rental was $8 per hour and another $4 for the instructor). Didn't have the wherewithall to complete my certificate at the time, but got that done in 1990, unfortunately just after he died. 18 years later I finished the Kitfox and often think what it would have been like to be able to give him rides. People who are important to us got us started in the right direction, even if they are not here today.
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

Thank You for spending the time to share the story. Beautiful airplane too. Enjoy!
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X