Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Tail wheel spring stabilizing tabs cracked at weld to fuselage

Default Tail wheel spring stabilizing tabs cracked at weld to fuselage

Hey guys/gals. My Kitfox IV 1050 developed weld joint cracks where the tail wheel spring stabilizing tabs are welded to the very bottom rear of the fuselage. A very seasoned shop manager suggests drilling 3/16 holes from side to side through the frame and attaching a steel angle on both sides to replace the welded tabs. Of course the alternative is to peel back the fabric and find someone who is good at welding thin metal in tight spaces where sparks/fire are a serious concern.

Has anyone had success or problems with either technique or willing to offer a better approach?

Bob Jones
    443-480-1023
    freeedog7788@gmail.com

Default Re: Tail wheel spring stabilizing tabs cracked at weld to fuselage

Had the same thing happen with my KF3. If I recall correctly I peeled the fabric back (don't cut any tapes or fabric: Peel it back) and welded on a 1/8" plate on the bottom with a Meco Midget torch. Made sure to get good penetration into the tubes and existing welds, went all around the tabs making it into a doubler. Drilled the plate to match the existing holes. I painted the area with Polyfiber Aerothane to match the power coat. Then glued all that area of the fabric back on with poly-tach. Unless you put your nose on it the repair was invisible.
    Building a KF IV Classic