Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Refusal to fly my Tundra Lite Tailwheel

Default Refusal to fly my Tundra Lite Tailwheel

I continue to hit roadblocks getting my first flight in. For insurance reasons I'm not allowed to fly the first 5 hours as I have zero tailwheel experience. Fair enough. I did find someone with 1000s of hours in tailwheels and has experience with the Kitfox. He's known as a great pilot around here. That said, unfortunately he has zero experience with locking tailwheels - and has said it scares him. I'm not going to argue, I understand in the sense that taking a plane for it's first flight is probably enough - having an unfamiliar tailwheel setup is just adding unwanted variable. I still have the original steerable, so I'll swap it out for now.

That said, I'm looking for some advice as to how to talk to him about it to perhaps ease his concerns. I would like to learn on what I'll be flying and would hope that after the first few hours I could switch back for my training with him. His biggest concerns seem to be around cross wind landings and not having steerability one on the ground. From everything I've gathered it should be a non-starter. But I can't just say that as it doesn't mean much coming from someone with zero experience. From my taxi testing at higher speeds I do seem to maintain a bit of steerability when locked - but by no means could a drastic change of direction occur - but isn't that part of the point?!

Any input is much appreciated.
    912 IS
    Airmaster Prop
    Garmin Stack
    C-FKLO

Default Re: Refusal to fly my Tundra Lite Tailwheel

I absolutely do not get the lockable tail wheel thing but each to their own. If it is unlocked it is no big deal to taxi around or land with a free castering tailwheel. My steering chain came disconnected once. I could tell that it wasn’t connected but rudder got me on the ground and differential braking got me back to the hanger.
    Unlock the thing and let him taxi your plane around until he is happy and then fly it around on a calm day.
    Dave
    KitFox 6 Taildragger
    912 ULS
    Whirlwind 70” Prop
    Garmin G3x
    All around nice guy

Slap a castering cheapo Matco on it and send it.

Does the tundra light not unlock? I'm confused as to why this is an issue. Unlock it - and send it!

Me and my brother both have tundra lites. If you want them locked, pull on the runway and line up with centerline, lock the tail and go. I locked mine on my maiden and second flight and have left it unlocked every flight since then. The only time to lock it is maybe with a really strong crosswind or off camber landing spot as it will keep the tail from coming around but I still prefer it unlocked. It’s completely non eventful unlocked. Just have him taxi it around and leave it unlocked and see?
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

I wouldn't worry much about the insurance thing. Most company's do not cover the aircraft during the first 40 hrs. Not saying yours is like that but you May want to check that out too.
    TJay Larsen

M1 Custom

Jabiru 2200 85hp

THanks all. Yeah, I don't really get the concern myself - but I'm just armchair flying it ATM. I have the original tailwheel I'll put on there for now and switch it back later I guess.
    912 IS
    Airmaster Prop
    Garmin Stack
    C-FKLO