Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Reducing washout on a KF1?

Default Reducing washout on a KF1?

My aircraft (I'm not the builder) has more washout than I want. When the builder jigged up the wing spars he raised the one end 2" instead of the 1.75" specified in the plans.
    20201221_212404.jpg

I've read that a lot of people choose to go with less washout and I'd like to take some out without completely rebuilding the wings. Is it possible? Only the rear tube on my right lift strut has a rod end bearing on it which can allow a small amount of adjustment. I'm considering building new lift struts, bumping up the tubing size so I don't need the wood fairings for structural strength( i will fair them just in a different way), and installing rod end bearings on all four tubes. Question is how much washout could I take out without stressing the wing too much?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Reducing washout on a KF1?

Just in case anyone is wondering, building according to plan using the 1 3/4" block gives 3.3 deg of washout.

The 2" block my aircrafts builder used = 3.8 deg

I think I would check with Kitfox factory before removing washout below build manual specs. If you go ahead and do it, do a little at a time and go do a flight stall test. As you probably know, the main purpose of washout is to give a smooth progressive stall from wing root to tip. If it starts getting abrupt you have gone too far.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Quote Originally Posted by jiott View Post
    I think I would check with Kitfox factory before removing washout below build manual specs. If you go ahead and do it, do a little at a time and go do a flight stall test. As you probably know, the main purpose of washout is to give a smooth progressive stall from wing root to tip. If it starts getting abrupt you have gone too far.
    I doubt I'd get any useful info from the factory. They don't support anything pre model 4. The one time i spoke with John McBean I got the impression he didn't want to deal with me and my model 1. Can't say as I blame him, he's got his plate full without adding some orphaned dinosaurs to the mix.

There are a number of individuals who have built their early model foxes with quite a bit less washout than factory spec and been quite happy with it.

Mostly I'm interested in knowing how much I can change the washout using adjustable lift struts. Is there a point where you put enough stress on the glue bond between the ribs and spars that the glue joints fail? I'm not looking to go crazy removing washout, maybe go to 2 deg.

The model 4 uses a 1/2" block under the spar during construction. That's only 1 deg of washout. Granted, different airfoil but considering how popular the 4 is and that Hershey bar wings generally stall naturally root to tip with no washout, I'm not overly concerned.