Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: 97 Model IV 1200 Fuel Tank Liner?

Default 97 Model IV 1200 Fuel Tank Liner?

Hey Guys, I purchased a 97 Model IV 1200 kit. The fuel tanks have already been installed in the wings. I've watched some youtube channels of people using Acetone to clean the tanks but not install fuel liners, however in the old manual I see this Wingtank Sloshing article using Kreem fuel tank liner. I'm not sure if this step has been performed but want to make sure I do all the necessary items before covering wing. Should I slosh with Acetone and then use this fuel tank liner, or should I not do acetone but do the fuel liner? Are these 97 tanks susceptible to the ethanol issue? Seems like it was earlier models. Would the Kreem fuel tank liner protect from ethanol or is noone using it now?
    Screen Shot 2020-08-21 at 12.29.08 PM.jpg

Default Re: 97 Model IV 1200 Fuel Tank Liner?

Talk to Kitfox factory; they will know if those tanks are alcohol resistant or not. If they are, just do the acetone rinse and you are good to go-no Kreem. If they are not, now you have a dilema. I personally would never use Kreem or other coatings after reading many problems (admittedly some folks seem to have good luck with them) with these coatings over the 10 years I have been part of this forum. I would buy and install new tanks for this all important part of the fuel system.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Thanks Jim. Very helpful. I will give them a call.

I have a kit form 94' that I am building. My tanks were not installed and had a label stating they were creamed. When I talked to Debra about my tanks she recommended that I purchase the newer tanks. The older tanks were creamed because of tiny pinholes left in the tank during the manufacturing process. The newer tanks are using a better resin and manufacturing process that allows for the tanks to not be coated. After talking with the factory and doing some searching on here I found tanks that had failed due to ethanol use and tanks that failed due to the cream being a life limited component. All these factors lead me to spend the money now rather than later and purchase the newer tanks. I did not want to uncover my wing down the road to try and repair the tanks. IMO I would install new tanks before covering. Just my opinion, I would call Kitfox. Hope this helps

That sure sounds like the smartest option. Yes, it costs a little more upfront, but imagine having to cut your wings open to replace the tanks due to them leaking. No bueno.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Unhappy Re: 97 Model IV 1200 Fuel Tank Liner?

Quote Originally Posted by Greg79 View Post
    I have a kit form 94' that I am building. My tanks were not installed and had a label stating they were creamed. When I talked to Debra about my tanks she recommended that I purchase the newer tanks. The older tanks were creamed because of tiny pinholes left in the tank during the manufacturing process. The newer tanks are using a better resin and manufacturing process that allows for the tanks to not be coated. After talking with the factory and doing some searching on here I found tanks that had failed due to ethanol use and tanks that failed due to the cream being a life limited component. All these factors lead me to spend the money now rather than later and purchase the newer tanks. I did not want to uncover my wing down the road to try and repair the tanks. IMO I would install new tanks before covering. Just my opinion, I would call Kitfox. Hope this helps
    Thanks Greg. Just ordered new tanks. 3 month wait.

Quote Originally Posted by PapuaPilot View Post
    That sure sounds like the smartest option. Yes, it costs a little more upfront, but imagine having to cut your wings open to replace the tanks due to them leaking. No bueno.
    Thanks Phil. Just ordered new tanks. 3 month wait.