Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Thank goodness for Murle

Default Thank goodness for Murle

Hi all!

I haven't posted for a while. I've been working like gang-busters on my KF5 due to the isolationism we are under. While the cause has not been a good thing, the resulting "get up and do something" has. I've accomplished a great deal in a short time; But, I digress. My reason for writing today is because of a squawk on my air frame. This may not apply to later models but for those flying/building KF5s you may be interested in what I learned.

A little history first. As I've mentioned before, this is my 2nd KF5 build. After finishing my first KF5 and flying the time off I made a cross country to my old home town of Amarillo from Phoenix. I had the trim set to neutral. I did not change the trim on the plane much on the flight as I was used to flying an aerobatic plane mostly before the Kitfox thus, I was used to hands on flying however; when I got to Amarillo, the next day I took my brother for a ride in the KF and this is when things got ugly. It was a very windy day (25mph quartering crosswind with gusts) but growing up in and learning to fly in Amarillo, if you couldn't handle the wind you just did not fly.

After reaching altitude of 2K ft I saw evidence of a thermal and decided to get some help to go on up to my planed altitude. Once I got into the thermal I started using the trim to help but, adding trim began to decrease elevator authority. I added more trim and soon I had little if any down elevator. I took the trim back to neutral and things were fine but, I headed back to the airport to investigate. I couldn't figure out the problem but so long as I didn't use much trim everything was fine. I didn't have a problem again after this initial one, that is until now on the current KF5.

In my current build I was testing the trim motor and the stabilizer and elevator control and as I added nose down trim the elevator began to become more inhibited. The more trim I added the worse it got. I messed with it until I was frustrated not finding the issue so, I asked Murle Williams to help me figure this out. He was quick to find the problem. On the KF5 you have the speed option or to go without. Because of this option, the former manufacturer, SkyStar, welded two tabs on the fuselage for the side covers for when you don't add the speed fairings. These tabs are irrelevant if you have the speed fairings but, these tabs can be a problem. These tabs actually inhibit the spar of the elevator to be able to deflect down when the trim raises the front of the stabilizer. Murle found the issue quickly and grinding these off made a quick solution. Murle suggested that this may not be a common issue because, he says, you likely will never need to trim your airplane to the degree that it would take to move the stabilizer up that much that it would cause a problem. My former problem was while flying in extreme conditions but, as Murle said, if it happened once it could happen again so let's grind those un-used tabs off and not have the possibility of the issue again.

I can't thank Murle enough for his help. He's looked my plane over several times and offered many recommendations that have turned out to be greatly beneficial. He's going to help me do the final rig on the wings next week, weigh the plane, and do the fuel flow check. I hope to be on the Glendale airport by Sept. 1st. and be ready to fly by October 1st. Again, I can't thank Murle enough for his help as well as the invaluable knowledge that many of you have also provided via TeamKitfox or direct connect.
    Fred
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Thank goodness for Murle

Glad you two got it sorted out Fred. Sounds like you are making very good progress.😎

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Murle is the man for sure. I feel blessed that he is 4 hangers north of mine.
    Dave
    KitFox 6 Taildragger
    912 ULS
    Whirlwind 70” Prop
    Garmin G3x
    All around nice guy

I have been debating if I should remove these tabs. I knew I should but was hesitant. I will now. Thanks for posting!
    "Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive." Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: N46KF, 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul 110hp, G3x with 2 axis a/p, Beringer wheels & brakes, SS7 firewall forward, NR prop, Custom paint

Thanks for posting this and Murle for figuring it out. I just looked at a couple of phone pics and it looks like my fuselage has these tabs.

Yup, mine has them too.

Fred, what is the "speed option" or "speed fairing" you mentioned in your original post? I've got the aluminum panels to cover the side openings, but I'm not aware of any other parts for that area. Thanks for posting the pics and description.
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

I may be calling it the wrong thing but it's adding wooden ribs to the elevator, both vertical & horizontal stabilizer and, rudder. This requires a fiberglass piece to be added to the back of the vertical stab post that fits over the wooden parts. When you have this option, you don't use those two tabs.

Aah, OK. I've got the wooden ribs in all of my tail parts, as well as the fiberglass piece bonded to the rear of the vertical stab. Sounds like those two steel tabs are excess to requirements. Thanks again!
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings