Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 27 of 33 FirstFirst ... 17232425262728293031 ... LastLast

Thread: The Wait is Over

Default Re: The wait is over.

I think it would work well Tim. Not sure about cost verses the hysol.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Hey Tim, buy the hysol gun and tubes. Applying the leading edge was the only thing Ive got to use it on so far but realize I should have purchased it long ago, Like Day One! My black half of the original Hysol has crystalized too much but its nearly all used anyhow. I was faced with buying another 5# of the stuff or just get the gun and tubes. No waste, just put the cap back on. Sweet. I may have used 2 tubes plus or minus a little to get the leading edges on. Gun does not hold tension on the plungers like a caulking gun would. Stop squeezing and the flow stops. put the cap on.
    Eddie
    Attached Images Attached Images

I got the Hysol tubes for a recent project, but made the mistake of not getting the gun. I thought I could push the tube plungers by hand with my fingers, but about wore my fingers out. The gun must have way more leverage to push the thick 2-parts thru the mixing tubes. Live & learn.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

I used the big syringes that Kitfox sells (cheap) for my main building project. Just measure and mix the Hysol 2 parts and drop it into the syringe. A nice bead can be laid just by pushing the plunger by hand. I even found I could reuse the syringes by letting the residue cure, and then cracking it out of the syringe. It doesn't stick very well to the syringe plastic.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

I think the factory should supply the tubes instead of the 5 lb cans. I'm gonna go with the 3M product.

Going with the 3M as well. I found the individual 10.5oz grey cartridges for a reasonable price here.
    Dustin
    915is/AP430 powered Kitfox SS7

I just offer this for conversation, but I would be VERY careful about substituting adhesives for structural purposes, ease of use not withstanding. There can be a big difference between sealing a window or attaching a decorative panel, and attaching components of an airplane together. The 3M 560 might be adequate for something like the LLE, if its attachment to the wing will not pose a safety of flight issue if it comes loose. I'm not saying that it isn't good for that purpose - I don't know, considering the degree of wing flex, shear stress, peel & tensile stress, operating temperatures, etc. It is obviously a very flexible and relatively easy to use material, but it suffers greatly in the strength department compared to the Hysol 9460 or 3M 2216. For instance, the tensile strength of the 560 is listed as 580 psi while the 9460 is 4400 psi. The shear strength of the 560 is 145 psi, and the 9460 is 3500 psi.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Well said John! I agree 100%.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Be very careful substituting products.. While we are in the "Experimental" category, the product you are considering has not been tested for strength, corrosion and or flex.
    We would suggest staying what has been tested without careful study and consideration of all the parameters regardless of cost or ease of use.
    John McBean
    www.kitfoxaircraft.com

"The Sky is not the Limit... It's a Playground"

I live in a remote mountain tourist town. I thought I could grab tubes of the caulking at my local hardware store and use a caulking gun to make consistent beads. Since that idea fell through and I would have to order the caulk anyway, I ordered the 50 ml tubes of Hysol, gun, and mixing nozzles. I ordered 4 tubes and 2 mixing nozzles. Since each wing is a single event, I only need one nozzle per wing.

Once I get the LE's mounted, I can loan/sell the gun and extra materials to the next guy here on the forum. The snow storm should pass through today, allowing me to do both wings this weekend.