Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SS7 & Highlander

Default SS7 & Highlander

Hoping you savvy members can help me better understand the differences between the current Kitfox and the Just Aircraft Highlander. Please assume that both are as 'set-up' as possible for off-airport operations and both are powered by the Rotax 912ULS. Also assume the pilot to be of average skill and not a true back country jockey capable of wringing every last thing out of either model. Thanks in advance, I appreciate the feedback.

Default Re: SS7 & Highlander

The Highlander has an under-cambered wing which will fly slower than the Kitfox. This wing will also hit an aerodynamic brick wall at about 100 mph. Lots and lots of power to make it go faster. A Kitfox will have little issue cruising at 125 mph when set up to do so.

The flaps on the Highlander add lots of drag allowing steeper approaches. The Kitfox needs more competent energy management.

The cabin widths are similar, with the Highlander having a larger baggage area.

The Kitfox has adjustable rudder peddles where the Highlander has adjustable seats.

The controls on a Highlander behave like a Cub or Champ. The Kitfox is far more sporty and quick handling, IMO much more fun...

Highlanders are more expensive.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Kitfox Super Sport $22900, Just Aircraft Highlander $24900, no a big difference in price for the base kit. Personally I would prefer the real flaps. I've flown both along with the SuperSTOL. To me the all seemed to fly about the same, and the Highlander flew as fast as my Kitfox. The SuperSTOL was SLOW, I've heard Cruise Speeds of 81 to 90, and the one I flew cruised at about 86. Take off & landing in the both in the Kitfox & Highlander are about the same. The take off & landings in a SuperSTOL could best be described as an experience! I like the baggage area in the Just Aircraft much better. They use Cables for the Ailerons & Flaps. To me the deference is all a matter of taster & preferences.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

The Highlander I looked at did have a larger baggage area, but that was because they didnt use a separate bag to contain the baggage and hold it away from the outside fabric walls. They had installed some 1/4" foam panels against the fabric in an attempt to protect the fabric from punctures, etc. I like the Kitfox baggage kit approach much better.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Thanks guys. In all honesty, I would be fine with any cruise speed as long as it's at least 80 mph. My furthest waypoint is 85 miles. So, the difference between 90mph and 120mph is about 14 minutes. What is important in this case, is slow flight and take off/landing distance in irrigated pastures and furrowed wheat fields. I suppose a decent argument could be made for certain ultralights for what I have in mind. However, I am not getting any younger and I would like a reasonably comfortable cockpit (I am small) with a decent heater. We also get a fair bit of wind around here. Primary missions are checking cattle and running parts. When I first started on this journey, I seriously considered the CH701. I really liked the aluminum skin. However, regardless of its' STOL capability, it does not seem to be strong in the slow-flight area. And, no, I am NOT saying it is a fast airplane.

For low & slow, hands down the SuperSTOL. However, get ready for the sticker shock, it is about $22,000 to $24,000 more expensive.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Z View Post
    For low & slow, hands down the SuperSTOL. However, get ready for the sticker shock, it is about $22,000 to $24,000 more expensive.
    Yes, I agree. Ideal but out of budget. I have also considered if a guy found the right KF IV, at the right price, and then putting an STi wing on it and possibly swapping out the landing gear. Could be tough to find the right deal, though. Those are two very expensive changes to make. I have lusted after a KF since the mid 80's. However, I wonder if a Highlander is not the better fit in this case. I would love to find out that a Classic IV in stock configuration is all I need with the addition of 26" tires! Just not quite smart enough to figure it all out!!!

On Edit: After a quick trip through both websites, the two kits price out the same. Did my best to keep it apples-to-apples. KF STi and Highlander with a few upgrades. Quick this and quick that, both kits. Both with 912ULS and 29" rubber. Right at $64K. So, it would seem that pricing is not a determining factor between the two. Am I realistic in figuring 2-3 years of my life to make either one flight ready?
    Last edited by Ramos; 03-21-2017 at 02:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramos View Post
    After a quick trip through both websites, the two kits price out the same. Did my best to keep it apples-to-apples. KF STi and Highlander with a few upgrades. Quick this and quick that, both kits. Both with 912ULS and 29" rubber. Right at $64K. So, it would seem that pricing is not a determining factor between the two. Am I realistic in figuring 2-3 years of my life to make either one flight ready?
    It depends, do you have a full time job, or a 60 hour a week job like I did before I retired. I would get every fast build kit offered. I especially would get the quick build wings, and make sure they are rigged to the Aircraft. With the wings built in a jig you are pretty well assured the plane will fly as advertised.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Support?

Kitfox: 30+ years of kit manufacture and a very well written and complete manual.

Just AC: They give you a book in the kit with some pictures in it.

Kitfox: TeamKitfox - Over 52,000 postings with over 4700 members.

Just AC: Wings forum, section #3 of 32, 18k posts mostly about Steve Henry showing off.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Quote Originally Posted by Av8r3400 View Post
    Support?

Kitfox: 30+ years of kit manufacture and a very well written and complete manual.

Just AC: They give you a book in the kit with some pictures in it.

Kitfox: TeamKitfox - Over 52,000 postings with over 4700 members.

Just AC: Wings forum, section #3 of 32, 18k posts mostly about Steve Henry showing off.
    All of the above, plus KF HQ's is 4-5 hours away from me. Have no doubt that these points will figure heavily in my decision. That being said, I am trying to determine which aircraft has the flying characteristics that best fit my needs. Just working on one piece of the puzzle at a time. Even if the Highlander is determined to have a performance advantage for me, it could still be ruled out for other reasons. I fully accept that my budget will require some compromises. If I could afford a SuperSTOL or the STi/180 Titan John is flying, I would go with the STi simply because it is a Kitfox.