Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 14 of 120 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617182464114 ... LastLast

Thread: EFWD Build

Default Re: EFWD Build

The cabin heater fans have three wires each. Black, red, white. the manual says you don't use the white. I have a switch that has "high off low". That is the same switch that McBean uses. I want both fans to run at the same time and at the same speed but I want a high fan speed and a low fan speed. Can anyone enlighten me? How is this achievable with only two wires from each fan motor? I am wondering if I achieve it by having the vertical power box push out slightly more power when I switch to high. I have a huge learning curve to tackle when it comes to this electrical stuff.

Why not keep it simple and wire it so "low" runs one fan at high speed and "high" runs both fans at high speed. That's what I think most of us have done and it works great. Wiring is simple and uses two wires from each fan.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Ill answer that.... i thought because of that air deflector I would be getting lots of warm air to one or the other persons feet while the other guy has cold feet. I would have to turn both fans on to warm both people and at high flow only. Maybe I have given too much credit to that little air deflector. Sounds like its not really doing that great a job since you say I can keep it simple and have good results. If thats how its done I can do that, no problem. Thanks Jim.

Typical computer fans with three wires have the white wire as a tachometer/ speed sensor feedback. The speed is controlled by varying the voltage on the red wire either on an analog basis or more commonly for computers by pulse width modulation (PWM). I'm not sure the capabilities of the Vertical Power box but I'll guess it doesn't have variable voltage or PWM built in. There are a lot of ways to skin this cat varying from simple (electrically inefficient) to sophisticated and less power hungry.

If you know any hobbiest with a variable DC power supply you could experiment to find the best voltage for your low setting. That would help in developing a simple approach.
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med

Thanks Paul
    For anyone interested I Youtube "The simplest way to reduce fan speed". He made it look absolutely simple. Then I watched a couple more... the first didn't use a heat sink on the voltage regulator and I seen another that states the regulators can get really hot and need a heat sink. OK, too scary for me to get involved with this since I am not knowledgable in this arena. If I just did what the first guy shows then I could have a fire on my hands. I called John M and found out that they do it as Jim states. Question resolved.
    Eddie

I am fixing to close the razor back. the angle on the leading edge where the turtle deck meets the fuselage requires " body fill" or something like that according to the manual. It suggests it to make it look "finished". Does someone have a pic of that so I know what it is supposed to look like when finished. I suppose if someone can describe it that would be fine also. I assume I am just putting something like super fill in the ends to close out the triangular gap that is at both ends?
    Eddie

Good 8 hours on the plane today.. Oratex fabric work to include the difficult corner leading up to the vertical stab. Not easily done but accomplished the job on the first try without having built a mock up to practice on or anything. Now, it doesn't appear to have been done by a professional fabric shop but "I" did it myself and I am OK with how it turned out. Unfortunately the overlap of the fabric shows pretty well underneath the reinforcement tape and I didn't labor over making the edge of that fabric entirely straight but what the heck, Im not looking for it to be judged at any airshow or anything. It will get me to wherever I wish to go in the country this way!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks good, Eddie! You're really making good progress.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

That is just an outstanding job fitting Oratex tape around a concave curve. I'll be getting in touch for techniques when the time arrives. Unless John has already covered the topic in his coming book!
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

Quote Originally Posted by Cherrybark View Post
    That is just an outstanding job fitting Oratex tape around a concave curve. I'll be getting in touch for techniques when the time arrives. Unless John has already covered the topic in his coming book!
    You're gonna' be waiting a long time for that book, Carl!
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime