Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 27 of 47 FirstFirst ... 1723242526272829303137 ... LastLast

Thread: John's Build

Default Re: John's Build

Quote Originally Posted by David47 View Post

So when's first flight John !?. I know there'll be many people on this site excited for you when that happens .... including me. It'll be a good day.
    Thanks again, Dave. I don't think it'll be too long now, but you're reading that from a guy who thought he'd be flying this airplane 4 years ago. Other things in life REALLY got in the way! It will be a very good day for me. I believe I've expressed this before on this forum, but the first test flight of my first homebuilt, 27 years ago, was the most exciting accomplishment as a pilot in my life... much more so than my first solo. I earned my Private in 2 months in 1974, and test flew the Thorp in 1990, after 15 years of building. A lot more blood, sweat and tears went into that airplane... it was very emotional, and I think of that when I read of others accomplishing their first flights.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Quote Originally Posted by efwd View Post
    Hey Lowell
    .......That device is the sweetest thing in my opinion. Really interesting. Best wishes in your experience ahead.
    Eddie
    Lowell/Eddie,

....Cochlear - Designed and manufactured in Australia (had to give that a plug).... if you go ahead with it Lowell, your hearing will take on a distinctive Aussie twang ..... !!

John, another exciting and memorable day approaches. One of life's joys for those of us involved in Aviation. Go well.
    David
    SS7 Builder

Thanks For all the Thumbs Up. Eddie, When I get there, I will definitely give a smile to the guy managing the sleepy stuff. I look to him to be sure I keep breathing through the procedure and beyond. John, I agree regarding the time in which we live. A little research shows that the final development of the "Successful" Cochlear Implants coincides very well with the development of our Special Little Airplanes - mid 80s and ongoing. The prayers are more than welcome. David, Cochlear is definitely on the list. Lots of good reports. The Aussie Twang would be OK too. I've been there twice with fond memories. Once on our way to Lyttleton, NZ - near Paul's (Dusty)"s home Hearing like a native of either place would be OK for me. Lots of great memories both places. One question, though. Given that both of you drive on the wrong side of the road. With Cochlear, when I hear a voice with my right ear, would I turn my head to the left?
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

My project plods along as usual, but getting ever closer to flight someday before long. Wings on and folding checked... trailing edges line up pretty well when folded - one just a tiny bit higher than the other. Good clearances. Rigging - dihedral, washout, etc. all good. Flaperons rigged and adjusted to specs.

I got my baggage compartment/sack installed also. I had installed 3 zippers to give access for inspections and/or loading lightweight, long cargo. I had to order a new ELT battery, replaced that and installed the ELT also. It's a real shame to replace a battery that was almost certainly still very good, but just past the "replace by" date. The battery for the ACK E-04 disassembles very easily, and the replacement 3v size "D" cells (Li-SO2), same model from the same manufacturer as the originals, can be had online for about $60 (for 4 of them). There is no soldering involved, and contact is made with strong gold-plated springs... piece of cake, but if the battery is opened (according to the statement on the battery), it is un-airworthy according to the TSO. A guy could save $100 if he could do it himself. The voltage I measured on the old (5 years) battery pack was almost exactly the same as the new one - 12.1 volts.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime

John, It looks like the "Remove Before Flight" tags are bought but did you make the actual plugs for the pitot and fuel cap vents ?
    David
    SS7 Builder

I use old stockings to cover the fuel tank vents in case I leave them on - in that case the pressurising/venting function will still happen. I haven't left them on yet though!

r
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.
    Landcruiser and Cub off road camper (doesn't get any kudos on this forum!)

The remove before flight tags look like what I used - a novelty key chain/ring that you can get from aircraft spruce. I (and it looks like John) just used an appropriately sized hose for the corresponding tube with a bolt through the smaller link of the key chain (key ring removed) and threaded into the hose. Works great and looks the part too!

Yes, that’s exactly it. The hose I used is some silicone rubber tubing that I had. In the ends of mine are plastic automotive trim attachment “screws” from the local auto supply store.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime

Could there be an issue with pressure building in the tanks from heat with the vents being closed off? Just wondering.
    SS7 O-200 Whirlwind

Even if it was that tight is a seal, it would push the tube off before it damaged the tank.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3