Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SS7 & Highlander

Default Re: SS7 & Highlander

You might want to go read this thread. http://www.teamkitfox.com/Forums/sho...?t=2894&page=2
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Av8r3400 View Post
    Support?

Kitfox: 30+ years of kit manufacture and a very well written and complete manual.

Just AC: They give you a book in the kit with some pictures in it.

Kitfox: TeamKitfox - Over 52,000 postings with over 4700 members.

Just AC: Wings forum, section #3 of 32, 18k posts mostly about Steve Henry showing off.
    Yep... you rock! Well said, brother!
    Just Aircraft seem to be good people. A couple of things that I prefer on the Kitfox design - as mentioned, more push rods, less cables, and the general quality of the weldments and design of structure (to be fair, this was when I was looking & making my mind up - things could have changed on the quality front since then). I like a few other things better on the Kitfox also, both major & minor. A big part of it for me is & was all of the people in this great big family. A little friendly competition is good.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Alright, you guys! Your highly valued responses, along with a PM or two, are beyond compelling. Thank you all.
    Jon Ramos

Ill bet your getting the exact opposite answers on the Just site, I will say I am building an early kitfox so I am all about the Kitfox dream, But on the other note I have purchased many items from just aircraft because the price is General cheaper on parts, some parts are interchangeable between the airplanes,
    Now to add to this I have had a few questions which I called kitfox and both John and Debra were more than happy to stop and help me,
    Last edited by TJay; 03-22-2017 at 06:24 PM.

Smile Re: SS7 & Highlander

Over the years I've answered questions a lot of times about the differences between various designs because people knew I had experience and/or owned most of the planes in question. I dont' recall any longer exactly where all those answers are at in the vast world wide web, but here is one link where the Just Aircraft forum had someone wondering about comparisons of a Kitfox to a Highlander. I put a link further down where we compared Highlander to a Rans, since I've learned that is usually the other question I will get...

http://wingsforum.com/viewtopic.php?...296965a81aee59

Rans info here:

To update my comments in those older postings, I do want to say that I think the new Kitfox SS7 STI is one rocking machine! I don't really need more STOL capability than what a standard Kitfox can do, but if I did I'd have a heck of a time deciding between the Kitfox STI and a Just Aircraft Highlander. ( Note I did not include the "Just Super STOL", as I believe that aircraft is pretty much in a category of its own - although with minor mods the Highlander is VERY close to the Super STOL's capabilities).

So the reality is, any of these choices are great aircraft. And even though many don't think there is much difference, there are differences that you need to look hard at to determine which one meets most of your criteria. For me, I could easily live with any of the choices as I prefer some things from each different aircraft. And frankly, if you decide later that you made the wrong choice, or maybe your needs just changed, most of these choices can be modified to meet your new preferences. This design "family" is probably the most versatile aircraft ever made. So you pretty much can't go wrong.

I hope this helps you more than it confuses you

And remember, this is free internet advice.
    Last edited by av8rps; 03-22-2017 at 07:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by av8rps View Post
    And remember, this is free internet advice.
    I like AV8RPS comment, the Best Quote of the entire post!
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

This is ALL way more help than confusing, and thank you. I also agree that of the two aircraft discussed, either one would be a pretty good choice for my use. Low speed controlled flight and reasonable STOL. I don't have plans that require super short take offs and landings. Rather, the ground conditions are less than ideal so the less time spent rolling across it is just way easier on man and machine.

TJay, I trust all you guys here. Didn't really feel the need to post this on the JAC site. Figured they would all tell me that the Superstol was a must.

My problem with the SuperSTOL, $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

I agree the Just Aircraft forum would orobably be pushing the Super STOL. And I agree it is probably the ultimate homebuilt STOL machine, so I can't say I'd blame them.

But for me, I like the Highlander more. Minorly modified the Highlander is almost as STOL as the SUPER STOL (it will actually takeoff shorter than the Super STOL). But the Highlander will cruise faster, haul more weight, be easier to build, and cost less. A nice lightweight (650 -700 lb EW) Highlander is an exceptionally performing aircraft that is also really strong and downright rugged, as it was originally designed for the off airport, rough stuff.

By comparison, I'd call the Kitfox Super Sport more of a "Gentleman's STOL" aircraft. That's not a negative, rather just my observation & opinion.

I have NEVER seen a 650 pound Highlander! Everyone I have ever seen have been 800 pounders. Many way more than that!

What does your's weigh?
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos