Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Video - Full flight with audio

Default Re: Video - Full flight with audio

Thanks guys! Glad you guys liked it, I will try to keep doing videos like this as well as my regular edits with only music and not me talking the whole time.

Quote Originally Posted by GMKman View Post
    Great video, how do you like those VGs? Big difference in handling and stall speed?
    I never flew the wing without them. The previous owner said they really didn't do anything to the stall speed, maybe a little more stable on approach but he said the difference wasn't really discernable. I wish they were taped on instead of glued, I would really like to move them forward and see how they do, the placement of them now seems too far back to even have any effect at a stall AOA.

I personally prefer the audio without music on all short or long videos. Most of us have never been to the places people show on their videos, so descriptions, locations, explanations do a lot to make it more interesting. Plus the fact that it is nearly impossible to choose music that a majority of the audience likes.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

I really enjoy your video's,to me your choice of music compliments your artwork however your latest with audio is also a winner
    Keep em coming thanks
    Did you do the kitfox sti video ?

Thanks Trent. Keep them coming.
    David
    SS7 Builder

Quote Originally Posted by trentp View Post
    Thanks guys! Glad you guys liked it, I will try to keep doing videos like this as well as my regular edits with only music and not me talking the whole time.

I never flew the wing without them. The previous owner said they really didn't do anything to the stall speed, maybe a little more stable on approach but he said the difference wasn't really discernable. I wish they were taped on instead of glued, I would really like to move them forward and see how they do, the placement of them now seems too far back to even have any effect at a stall AOA.
    I agree, I recently purchased some VGs and installed them approx. 4 1/4" back from leading edge per manufacturer's recommendations and didn't notice much improvement either except for the ones installed on the elevator (helped in flare). I'm glad I only used double sided sticky tape so I could easily take them back off. The improvements weren't noticeable enough for me but after seeing your videos, it's clear you have a lot more feel for your plane than I do. Nice touch..
    I did "glue" the VGs on the elevator however..
    Thanks for the response.
    Brad..

Quote Originally Posted by GMKman View Post
    I agree, I recently purchased some VGs and installed them approx. 4 1/4" back from leading edge per manufacturer's recommendations and didn't notice much improvement either except for the ones installed on the elevator (helped in flare). I'm glad I only used double sided sticky tape so I could easily take them back off. The improvements weren't noticeable enough for me but after seeing your videos, it's clear you have a lot more feel for your plane than I do. Nice touch..
    I did "glue" the VGs on the elevator however..
    Thanks for the response.
    Brad..
    Brad, sounds like you have about the same results with VGs.

If you only have them taped on then you should try taking them off and moving them as close to the leading edge of the wing as you can stick them and see how they do. I would be really interested to hear if that helps, I did read somewhere that someone placed the VGs further forward on a kitfox wing but I cant seem to remember where I saw it. Everyone I fly with in supercubs always have theirs as far forward as possible to get the biggest improvements, so I would love to test that on the kitfox wing. I can definitely tell just looking at the placement of mine that they are far enough back that they wouldnt be effective at a full stall AOA.

Trent

More to satisfy my own curiousity than anything, I've been investigating VG installation results of many Kitfoxes, Avid Flyers, and Highlanders for over a decade. And generally I've discovered that VG's work really well on the Highlander, but not on the Kitfoxes or Avids. The odd thing about that is that the top of the wing on all those aircraft is pretty much identical, so it really doesn't make sense.

But it does when you stop to realize that the Highlander has standard flaps and ailerons on the trailing edge of the wing, verses flaperons that are used on the Fox and Avid. So, when the wing begins to stall on the Highlander, the flaps and ailerons stall also, causing not only lift loss on the wing, but also lack of controllability issues. Installing VG's helps to keep airflow straighter longer over the top of the wing (and the flaps and ailerons) in high angle of attack scenarios. So the VG's on the Highlander do exactly what they are supposed to, reducing the stall speed and improving controllability up to the stall. (Gee, just like they do on most other airplanes they are used on )

So, then why doesn't the Kitfox or Avid react the same way as VG's do on the Highlander?

If you think about it, it's really pretty obvious. No other airplanes have the flaps and ailerons hanging below the wing. So the entire wing will lift uninterrupted all the way up to the ultimate angle of attack before it stalls. Having no airflow disturbances caused by the movements of the flaps and ailerons attached to the trailing edge of the wing helps to keep the wing flying longer. And there is also full controllability of the ailerons, as even though the wing is stalled, the ailerons aren't. Hanging below the wing trailing edge in their own clean air (the air is actually faster on the bottom of the wing during high wing angles) the ailerons even beyond the wing stall remain effective.

Case in point, my old Avid Flyer could fly at a real 22 mph. And even though the wing was stalling and the buffetting associated with the wing stall was pretty intense, you could do figure 8's to your hearts content without concerns of losing control and spinning. The flaperons were not stalled even though the wing was, so even at 20 mph you had a lot of controllability.

The German Stuka Divebomber used flaperons below the trailing edge for much the same reason. The Stuka could enter a high speed accelerated stall while recovering from an extremely high speed dive, and the way they avoided a violent snap roll in the pull up was to use flaperons below the trailing edge. The flaperons under the wing didn't stall even though the wing was, and therefore they could maintain control until the wing started flying again

I know that is a long winded explanation, but I hope it helps everyone here to better understand why VG's are unlikely to improve a Kitfox. I know some will claim VG's will work on a Kitfox, but as far as I'm concerned, my old Avid Flyer proved to me a long time ago tbat it would be pretty hard to improve on the design. Flaperons get bashed a lot by those that don't understand them. But they really are a performance and controllability advantage.

Well, I enjoyed the read. Thanks for the time you spent writing it.

Here's and idea to get a visual of exactly how the VGs are affecting the airflow. With the availability of camera mounting to capture everything... tuft (short pieces of yarn taped to the wing in a regular pattern) the wing and video it for study. It will show how and where the airflow separates from the wing. With this information, you can try several location of the VGs to determine if they really are making a difference. Oh, for a base study, examine the tufts without any VGs for comparison purposes.

There was a time when tufts were used to optimize airflow over a airframe.

Ralph

Av8rps, that makes total sense to me! It sounds like it really depends on what wing it's on as well because I have heard the VGs actually made a pretty big difference on the STi wing, which still utilizes flaperons. I plan on flying the STi wing without VGs before installing them so I can test it on that wing. I'll report back with my results.