Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Small Inspection/Access Hole Options?

Default Small Inspection/Access Hole Options?

I am covering the belly of a Model III.

I am looking for a way to access the small nuts associated with the control stick mechanism hold down through the floor. The manual suggests using the large inspection hole rings (as used on the wings). I am hoping for something much smaller (just enough to see through and get a deep socket in). Maybe 1/2" to 3/4" ID. Does anything like this exist out there? Maybe an aluminum or nylon washer with a 1/2" t0 3/4" ID with a good fitting plug of some sort?

Any thoughts ot ideas that others have used for this?

Larry S.

Default Re: Small Inspection/Access Hole Options?

Larry,

For odd, nonstandard access points, there is nothing wrong with a person fabricating custom rings and covers...I think you already have the idea.

You could fabricate a correct size aluminum ring from sheet metal to glue onto the backside of the fabric (not on the front like the inspection rings), then roll the excess fabric back onto the inside of the ring and glue the fabric onto the backside of the access hole. The cover could be fabricated of another piece of aluminum sheet metal to fit and attached with short sheet metal screws to make a clever inspection point.

On our S7, I decided to do something like this for the access to the fuel tank elbow on each wing - photo attached where you can see the aluminum backer through the fabric. I don't have a photo of the cover.

Sincerely,

Dave S
    KF 7 Trigear
    Attached Images Attached Images

Larry,
    It looks like you are a thinker. A couple of friends have built Rans S-7s and Rans uses a neat trick for through fabric access. They will make a shape out of the .093 Polycarbonate (Lexan) - your washer idea - and glue it to the fabric in the needed location. Then they will make a cover of thin aluminum and screw it to the Lexan with #4 pan head sheet metal screws. I used this method exclusively on my new Model IV - Lift strut areas of the wings, Servo covers on the elevators, home brew position lights etc. The Polycarbonate is light weight, doesn't retain creases or bends created during their fabrication and after drilling undersized holes for the screws will hold them snugly much the same way Nyloc nuts resist unscrewing. I would think maybe 2.5" diameter disks or a rectangular piece of similar dimension to accommodate both bolts would provide enough surface area for adequate fabric adhesion.

The main reason I used it around the lift strut openings was my plan to eventually install fiberglass fairings there. Screwing to the Polycarbonate will make their attachment very simple and secure.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

Larry, I like your idea of plastic washers and some sort of 3/4" or 1" snap-in covers. I know I have seen them at hardware stores in chrome or just plastic.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Great feedback. Thanks for the ideas.