Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Butt Rib Close Out, final decision?

Default Butt Rib Close Out, final decision?

So, I've read all the opinions on the butt rib close outs..... What does everyone who is flying feel is the best choice?? My thoughts.... For sure I am going to cover the fore and aft rib holes (in front and behind the fuel sights). I'm planning on covering the bottom edge (top of the door area between the fuse and the bottom of the butt rib).

Question.... Do I fill the areas around the rear bolt and front pin? Or don't worry about it?

Thoughts? Thanks!!
    -Mike Kraus
    RV-4 built and sold :-(
    RV-10 built and flying
    KitFox SS7 built and flying and now on amphib floats!

Default Re: Butt Rob Close Out, final decision?

I covered the front and rear openings. Don't think you need to closeout the bolt openings. I have not noticed any draft from the wings. The most drafts come from the flaperon slots and the horizontal access. I've flown my plane 265 hours in the last year. Good luck.
    Scott

I agree to cover front and rear as I did also. Seems looks determine how much you want to cover after that. Good luck.
    Dan G.
    Model IV 1200 - Tri-gear
    Jabiru 2200
    Flying

Closing out the front and rear carry-thru tubes (bolts) is not anything to worry about. It is a highly subjective decision having mostly to do with personal satisfaction. Its not even an aesthetic item because it hardly shows. Possibly someone flying in very cold weather might notice if they are not closed, but you can always stuff a wad of flexible foam in there for the winter season. I closed mine out just because I wanted to, but have got the impression that most guys don't bother. Its kind of a fussy, not real easy job. I made some thin aluminum cuffs Hysoled together after trial and error with paper patterns.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Thumbs up Re: Butt Rib Close Out, final decision?

Great detail photos, Jim!!!
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Quote Originally Posted by jiott View Post
    Closing out the front and rear carry-thru tubes (bolts) is not anything to worry about...
    That looks very nice Jim! I don't think I'm gonna' close mine out like that, but I admire your craftsmanship!
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Default Re: Butt Rib Close Out, final decision?

I have also closed the butt rib and the areas arond the spars.A lot of work but I like the result

For what it is worth I am regretting not closing out this section better (on my project list). It is clear to me that this area draws a great deal of air out of the cabin which, in the colder months, causes a lot of draft from the back of the plane. Not an issue when it is warm out. These pictures are inspiring me to get it done before next winter, nice workmanship
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

I just today closed out the fore and aft holes with a layer of Oratex. I put the red, finished side, inboard for appearance reasons. I could put another layer so as to have red outbd as well, but it won't be visible, or exposed to UV, with the wings on, so I think I will leave it as you see now.
    The center "fuel gauge" window is plexiglass mounted inbd and I plan to bond that on after fuel gauge calibration.
    The lower aluminum closeout is shown temporarily in-place (still awaiting Stewart Systems red to match the fabric) and will be held by the door hinge screws as well as bonded with 3M transfer adhesive.
    The cuffs are not shown, but look to be close to what Jim did.
    - Gary
    S7 SuperSport Tri-gear
    w/Rotax 912, Oratex, Dynon

Looks good, I need to get that done this year.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive