Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: advice for forum on trailering kitfox to tour US

Default Re: advice for forum on trailering kitfox to tour US

I trailered a Kitfox 4 from Texas to Mn last summer, and have hauled 4 different Avid Flyers from 125 to 550 miles when I brought them home. I would say to never let the plane ride in the trailer with the weight of the plane resting on the tailwheel. Here is the set up I used on the Kitfox 4. Did versions of the same thing with the Avids. Jim Chuk
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have been cogitating the idea of trailering my Kitfox to Alaska, so I have thought of this quite a bit. I had seen the above design and I hate welding, so I nixed that idea. I also didn't particularly care for using a small 4' X 4' trailer idea. It takes up a lot of space in the big trailer, and you have to secure your tail wheel to the small trailer, then drag both the small trailer and the plane into the big trailer, and then secure the small trailer to the big trailer. Seems a little cumbersome to me.

So, I started working on something that acted as a small ramp type device, roll the plane into the Trailer, once the tail wheel touched the little ramp roll it up the Tail Wheel support, and it acts as a shock absorbing tail wheel support & tie down for the tail wheel. I am not sure what type of springs I would use in the design, or if it would be better to use 4 springs. I would bolt the ramp & tie down in the center of the width of the trailer, and it would act as a stop to assure the aircraft is positioned such that the trailer door will close. Attached is the rough sketch I did on the idea. It still needs some refinement. Just an idea you might consider.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Ken,

I looked over your good looking plane and its trailer.

A couple of thoughts. You are moving a short distance so risk is much lower than the huge distances I trailer my old model IV each year. (A total of about 95,000 miles with plane in trailer at this time.)

If any chance of bounce, the tail wheel needs to be secured so it can not bounce off. You probably had that figured.

Over time the tail wheel spring takes a beating because there is a lot of weight from the folded wings shifted back onto that spring during trailering and the inevitable bouncing. Most folks support the tail at the thru hole as mentioned in other posts. There are many ways to support the tail of the plane to take some weight off of the tail wheel spring and even "cushion" the bounce, although the four miles you plan to drive are minimal.At some point a reason to tow a longer distance may materialize. Even though I support my tail I have replaced tail wheel springs three times.

BJ

Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL

Does anyone have thoughts or experience trailering a tri gear Kitfox?
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos

The minute you fold the wings back, I would imagine it is the same as the Tail Dragger. The weight all goes to the tail. I would support it with the mounting the Tail at the thru hole in front of the tail.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Steve,..if you build or modify a trailer to haul your fox..because of the mains being further back don't drop the rear section of the trailer to lower the plane unless you add weight to the nose of the trailer..ideally you should have 25% tongue weight..so trailer at say 900 lbs plus plane ? 700/800 lbs?..1600/1800 total lbs hitch should be close to 400/450 lbs ,,this will ensure good towing characteristics and wheels on trailer at 75% or more toward rear..don't try to build a trailer so the weight is balanced on the trailer wheels..it will whip all over at higher speeds
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL

Chase, good thoughts.
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    SkySteve's SPOT Page

just looking out for ya buddy I have built many a trailer from boat to Tractor Trailer..all steel and or all aluminum..and I have 20+ years of hauling everything up to over sized loads 16' wide and 100 ' long
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL

Chase, OK. So I understand you're brand new to trailering . Would you recommend I load my Fox on the trailer backwards and use your "inverted V" type tail brace in the rear hitch mount hole, keeping the plane in a level attitude with the nosewheel sitting on the trailer bed? And, would it be good to modify your inverted V so that it was pinned to both rear hitch mount holes?
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    SkySteve's SPOT Page