Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: LED Landing lights

Default Re: LED Landing lights

ya Josh...with no lens for now....

this is the strobe module i use...from superbright led...1.5amp

for a 40 watt led chip..you need an transformer??? or is on 12 volt???

9 to 36V. Super happy with the results so far. We will have to trade notes soon.

this is what it's look like for now...
    this is my first experience +/- with fiberglass...so i do more work i think for sanding..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Np2AXokDrdM

Very Nice JF. We are using an omni directional headlight LED for our strobe.

Just an update on our LED landing light. Looks like it will be smaller than we anticipated, will have dedicated wigwag built into the board, water resistant, and still be very light weight (below 6 oz). The down side to making the light smaller is that it is now a dedicated 12v light and cannot be used at 24v at this time.

The light is now 40W 1.8amp and 4000 lumens. We are playing with two lens styles.

One is a 10 degree beam that has 26700 candela and the other is a 45 degree lens that has 14500 candela. The upside to the 45' is that your airplane will be seen more easily from a wide amount of angles for traffic avoidance as well as peripheral lighting on landing.

This is in comparison to the micro sun which seems to be the most popular with kitfoxes at 1500 lumins and 8000 candela.

I should have some prototype design renderings to show everyone soon.

I look forward to seeing the protos
    Lou
    KitFox II

Kudos to Esser and JF for venturing into the unknown in the efforts to bring down the costs. As mentioned earlier in this thread...you do get what you pay for but some of us just enjoy the tinkering aspect of trying.

I'm currently working on a landing light project for the standard wing tips. I went ahead and purchased these lights from Amazon http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o00_s00

I decided to take on a little more weight to off-set cost differences and they seem to be bright enough. My plan is to have them set to a wig-wag most of the time for visibility, but also be able to set them to full on for the occasional night landing.

I started by making a bracket out of aluminum and fixing the light to what I thought would be a good angle.

IMG_0300.jpg[ATTACH][ATTACH]IMG_0305.jpg[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]

I looked all over the web trying to find something that could work as clear lenses to fit on the tips of my standard wing tips. No joy, so I'm now knee deep in trying my hand at vacuum forming. I made the vacuum box and today taking a mold of the tip in efforts of making a plug. More to come.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dan B
    Mesa, AZ

I'm doing similar for my mangy fox project. I'm using a smaller round led that will only need a cover 3" wide. Plexi can bea easily warmed in an oven the let gravity bend it over a male plug. My friend helping on the project has made several this way for other planes.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Here is the latest prototype design for those interested.

Designed to fit into the kitfox wingtip