Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 60 of 87 FirstFirst ... 105056575859606162636470 ... LastLast

Thread: Oz build SS7

Default Re: Oz build SS7

Ross - I agree with Jim. Definitely don't use a jigsaw! Abrasive cut-off wheel has always worked well for me for the rough cut. The idea is to take it a little at a time... grind the plastic. Don't go slow & deep where the plastic is heating up & melting - if you do that the wheel can grab and you have a chance of cracking. Then I like to use a belt sander & then a sanding block. It also helps to make sure the plastic isn't too cold when you're cutting it... room temperature or greater is best to help avoid cracks.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Thanks for you thoughts and advice John. I realise now the idea of jigsaw was pretty much asking for trouble! As it's a definite 2 person job, I will wait until I have another pair of hands to progress it!

cheers

ross
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.
    Landcruiser and Cub off road camper (doesn't get any kudos on this forum!)

Default windscreen fitting

Now this is an interesting little exercise! "If I trim a bit here, how will it effect it there???" type exercise. It was essential to have Gayle in the hanger today as the windscreen needed to be fitted/marked/removed/trimmed/fitted about 6 times to get it right! But at least it hasn't cracked and fits well now. Drilling tomorrow. Using the Dremel range of attachments to cut and trim the windscreen. (yes, I know I could have put in on the floor and cut it but the less it is moved the better!)

Slow progress while I think a few processes through and research some choices. I also decided to have a major clean up in the hanger today and make a tip run - I don't believe how much mess is generated in the building process!

cheers

ross
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.

Wow.... at this rate you'll be done before I get back over to Mt Beauty!

I hope to head over in the next month(ish) depends on the weather (and I've got to fix the flat tire on the Kitfox. You don't want to swap tires do you?

Keep up the good work!

Jono,

Swap tyres?! I just went down changed the combo on the hanger lock!

r
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ

Hi All,

I flew over to Mt Beauty yesterday to have a sneaky look at Ross' build progress.

Ross has not wasted any time since getting a hold of that firewall forward kit. Since Easter (as reported by Ross here) he has mounted the engine, started running wires, started to fill the instrument panel. The first thing I noticed was the lack of circular "steam powered" instruments :-)

Ayway, I'm sure Ross will give more accurate updates soon..(Until then this post will keep the thread on page #1)

...and here is a photo of my Kitfox IV back in the hangar at the end of the day
    20150524_171343.jpg

Jono

Nice one Jono - good to see you.

Off to Brisbane for the week to pay for some 'bits'!

cheers

r
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Hi All,

I flew over to Mt Beauty yesterday to have a sneaky look at Ross' build progress.

Ross has not wasted any time since getting a hold of that firewall forward kit. Since Easter (as reported by Ross here) he has mounted the engine, started running wires, started to fill the instrument panel. The first thing I noticed was the lack of circular "steam powered" instruments :-)

Ayway, I'm sure Ross will give more accurate updates soon..(Until then this post will keep the thread on page #1)

...and here is a photo of my Kitfox IV back in the hangar at the end of the day
    20150524_171343.jpg

Jono
    Was up at Mt Beauty on the weekend as well, saw the Kitfox parked in front if the hangar, should've wandered over ,,,,will have to fly up some time

That's good timing, it was only there for about an hour give me a yell when you're flying up, I'll be your wingman!

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    That's good timing, it was only there for about an hour give me a yell when you're flying up, I'll be your wingman!
    Where are you based at, I'm YCEM