Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Flaperon Trim

Default Flaperon Trim

Is it feasible to set up electric trim for the flaperons?

Thanks

Tom

Default Re: Flaperon Trim

I don't want to display my ignorance, But at the risk of displaying afore mentioned ignorance, why would a 600 lb airplane with aileron roll across its entire width, need a trim. do you have a problem with your control system?

Hi Tomfox,

Thinking there might be more to your question than meets the eye for most of us.......possibly some addittional info might help with getting you a quality answer.

Maybe indicate what model Kitfox is under consideration for the question....and if there is a specific issue you are trying to correct.

Are you interested in roll trim or pitch trim? Some of the early models did not have pitch trim and operators adjusted the flap(eron) extension to effect pitch trim. On the other hand, if roll trim is being considered, FWIW - a properly rigged kitfox does not need roll trim; however, if the wing washout is not quite on, the plane will fly with a "wing heavy" manner....in this case, the solution is to check the washout and be sure it is correct.

Sincerely,

Dave S
    KF 7 Trigear
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

OK - thanks for asking for clarification.

I am in the building process. SS-7.

I have flown a number of years in a Cherokee 235. After a couple of years we installed aileron trim (no autopilot) - the add-on tab that is offered by the company from Florida. I found this to be extremely nice when flying long distances.

The 235 of course had to deal with tip tanks and a lot of fuel imbalance. When I flew the kitfox in Idaho, it was certainly easy to control - but never-the-less requires constant attention. This is the reason I was asking.

Thanks

tom

Tom , there are some reasonably priced 2 axis (pitch and roll) autopilots, (trio and trutrak as an example) that do a fine job on cross country flights, that will work fine in a Kitfox. Bruce