Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to me project

Default New to me project

Well I joined the Kitfox world over the weekend! I bought a fixer upper project to get my hands dirty over the winter. Will post some pics soon but I am having connection issues with my phone to computer at the moment. I bought a Model II with Rotax 912 80 hp 1100 gross. It has had a nose over and will need considerable help. New prop, Eng/Re-drive needs to be looked at, new tail feathers, and alchohol resistant fuel tanks are the major points. Very clean plane other than the accident damage. Going to take some time but nothing I can't handle. Wondering if I should be looking at putting on Model 4 empennage in the process???? Anybody done this mod and how did it turn out???? Got absolutely amazing documentation with the package. 2 large cardboard boxes of manuals, logs, old Sky Star Times, Construction manuals, Rotax manuals, Build pictures, Kitfox Bulletins, etc.

Kurt.A

Default Re: New to me project

Take a look on this...https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RHAi-EkOTjI

It is an kitfox 3 modified by ROTEC,in this video he show is modified tail...and she look's really good..if the adress doesn't work tape kitfox 3 rotec on youtube..

That's a nice looking bird. Couldnt find any follow on video's. Anyone have knowledge on how it flew?

Got some pics downloaded. This is KF514, if any of you know it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Kurt A

Kitfox II,
    Rotax 912,
    1100 gross
    Fixer Upper Project

if the vert fin and rudder are damaged , I would definitely put a model 4 1200 rudder and vert fin back on . that was my project last winter . most noticeable doing slips and take off and landing with xwinds. while I had the plane out of service for the fin and rudder I also installed elevator trim . I'm really glad that I took the time to do the trim , made a much easier plane to fly .
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

Nice, where did you pick her up Kurt? Is that Mt. Robson?

Quote Originally Posted by Esser View Post
    Nice, where did you pick her up Kurt? Is that Mt. Robson?
    I got the plane out of Montana. Original build was in Wyoming. Yes that is Mt. Robson, beautiful rare day when you can see the top. A/C has had a nose over at speed so going to take a bit of work to get her back in the air.
    Kurt A

Kitfox II,
    Rotax 912,
    1100 gross
    Fixer Upper Project

Steve Wilson has a 2-3 that he repaired a few years ago. He shaped a rudder and fin to be taller like my 4-1200. He has turned it into a really good flyer. I actually like flying it more than my speedster. (Don't tell Steve, he gets a big head) where are you headed with it.
    John

Kurt...
    Please give her a kiss on the nose, and promise you'll get her back in the air! OK, a wee bit extreme there...

Seriously though, wishing you the very best in your project.... I hope it goes well for you! Welcome to the gang!
    Grover Wright
    Flying a KF IV-1200
    ROTAX 912UL

So putting on Mod 4 empennage sounds like the way to go. Already has electric trim installed but needs a new drive motor. The electric motor is in a thousand pieces with most of them missing. Spent the last few days just checking things out and closely evaluating what needs to be done. Eng turned over by hand nicely. Cranked it with the starter and made 30PSI oil pressure, that was nice to see. Checked out all gauges and electrical devices everything works except for the 2 heater fans and the left bar of the G force Meter, seems to be stuck at 1 G with no movement. LLC bush gear is all fine needs new tires so shopping for nice tall Alaskan's. Going to put fuel injection on for sure. So much more simple, dependable and maintenance free with F/I. Thrashing back and forth about prop choices. Had a Warp 3 blade taper tip on it with 2 broken blades, the other blade looks unscathed. Would really like to go with an Airmaster reversible. Was talking with one of the engineers at Airmaster and he says reversible is only for "amphib use only" Sure would make for some nice short strip landing capability. And yes I did kiss her on the nose and whispered sweet nothings to her. She approved with good oil pressure and most electrical working. Hopefully back in the air next summer.
    Kurt A

Kitfox II,
    Rotax 912,
    1100 gross
    Fixer Upper Project