Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fuel pump location

Default fuel pump location

Everything I've read and seen says to put fuel pump close to header tank. I was just looking at my O-200 instructions and it shows the pump between the fuel shutoff valve and the firewall. And specifically says to mount pump 9 inches forward of fuel valve and on underside of center console. Thoughts please! Is this install different because its an O-200? I don't know if it makes any difference but i am using a rote tbi .
    Thanks, ken

Default Re: fuel pump location

Ken , I have a Series 5 with the Cont. IO-240. The factory supplied facet pump was totally inadequate for this engines needs, so i replaced it with an automotive Holly Blue pump that is physically located just aft of my header tank.I just saw pics that Papau pilot recently posted showing another location that he chose under the seat pan. As i recall he posted that photo this week, might give you some ideas. Bruce lina N199CL

Hi Bruce. I did see the pics that your speaking of. And i also read of the facet pump being of no use except as a paper weight. But i think that was mentioned from guys with injected engines. You also have a fuel injected engine; mine is not. I only want about 4 psi. Is the facet capable of this? ken

Also have IO-240 in the Kitfox and I eventually put in a Weldon because a facet will not run an injected engine if the engine driven fuel pump failed.

To answer your question. In our Zenith 750 with an O-200 we have a facet in a forward location similar to the Kitfox and it does fine. Only need it in very steep climb attitude with high power setting.

I think the carb only requires 1/2 psi.

This is a cool link for O-200 guys:
    http://www.pj260.com/Continental/O-200%20Manual.pdf
    Last edited by N981MS; 09-06-2014 at 06:51 PM. Reason: Add link
    Maxwell Duke

Kitfox S6 IO-240 Built it (Flying since 2003)
    Maule M7-235C Sold it (liked it though)
    RV-10 IO-540 Bought it
    Zenith CH-750 Built with 7 friends (DAR Vic Syracuse)

Quote Originally Posted by ken nougaret View Post
    Everything I've read and seen says to put fuel pump close to header tank...
    I too am interested in installing an electric pump inline (some model of Facet?) in my 912 ULS powered Vixen Model 5. It makes sense to have redundancy and especially since the official stance of Rotax Folks is that you Should have a backup pump. The place I have in mind is also between the main fuel valve and the firewall, most likely under the center console. Any more deep thoughts about this?

I am also convinced I should eliminate the individual fuel filters between each wing tank and the header tank (so as to no encourage any fuel flow restrictions.....air, water, etc.) and install ONE good final filter very close to where the fuel finally gets to the carburetors. Question is.....should the filter be on the "pulling side" of the engine driven fuel pump or on the "pushing side"?

Thanks much,

Skot
    Kitfox Vixen 912 ULS
    N24V at C29

My electric fuel pump is located forward, under the seat, with a capacitor in parallel.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for the info & the pictures. I see by "parallel" the fuel can be pumped both by the engine driven fuel pump or the electric fuel pump. So...is there a one-way check valve in the electric fuel pump? Also, what is the purpose of the capacitor? Is the capacitor a requirement for the fuel pump? Since your KF is a Model IV I assume your entire fuel line configuration may not be the same as my Model V with a Rotax 912. Would you mind sharing what brand of fuel pump you are using?

Thanks much,

Skot
    Kitfox Vixen 912 ULS
    N24V at C29

Quote Originally Posted by SWeidemann View Post
    I too am interested in installing an electric pump inline (some model of Facet?) in my 912 ULS powered Vixen Model 5. It makes sense to have redundancy and especially since the official stance of Rotax Folks is that you Should have a backup pump. The place I have in mind is also between the main fuel valve and the firewall, most likely under the center console. Any more deep thoughts about this?

I am also convinced I should eliminate the individual fuel filters between each wing tank and the header tank (so as to no encourage any fuel flow restrictions.....air, water, etc.) and install ONE good final filter very close to where the fuel finally gets to the carburetors. Question is.....should the filter be on the "pulling side" of the engine driven fuel pump or on the "pushing side"?

Thanks much,

Skot
    Gents, not sure if first reply sent, however her goes! My concern in reading the above was too the suggestion of fitting fuel filters beyond the fire wall! This has potentially two No! Nos,
    1) heat damage
    2) blockages

Either case could cause engine failure or heaven forbid engine fire.
    Having an inline filter from each tank too the header gives you two routes if one should become blocked, In my opinion only a gascolater type filter should be engine side of the firewall.
    I have witnessed an inline filter having been fitted in a fuel line after the shut off valve and before the gascolater, which become very restricted causing engine partial failure, fortunately too a safe off field landing, the filter had blocked too the point of only allowing a quarter of the volume it normally would allow! The filter had been installed as an after thought of a good idea!
    That's not what the plans showed, it is too easy too mess up stick too the original plans they have been tested and work! Safe flying,

The fuel pump came with the engine, so it must be Rotax supplied, but I don't see any markings on it. The Rotax manual shows a 22,00uf capacitor across the terminals of the motor to "increase reliability of the motor". I think it just reduces electrical noise in the system. You can't see it in the pictures, but there is a one way valve in the bypass line of the pump, to allow fuel to flow when the pump is off.

Remembering there may have been a p/n, I took the assembly apart and sure enough. It is Pierburg p/n 7.21440.51, along with another number "OCT 326".
    Last edited by mr bill; 09-14-2014 at 03:07 PM. Reason: move coma

Getting back to the Facet pump model, does anyone have a model number they have installed, on a Rotax 912 ULS in series (mine is a Model Vixen)? I know the area (inside the center console) I want to install one but do not know what to order. I thought I had the unit identified by "574A" but just found out that is not the model number but a general listing category. According to the specs for Facet pumps, they go by fuel flow volume and pressure. I'm curious about what people are using.

Thanks much,

Skot
    Kitfox Vixen 912 ULS
    N24V at C29