Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Paint Facilities

Default Paint Facilities

While most of us don't have access to downdraft paint booths with shielded lighting and one hundred gallon air supply tanks, I would like to get an idea of how builders painted their completed aircraft and the facilities they used-ie basement, one/two/three car garage, work shop/out building, etc. Also, what did you think of your results (we all like to think they are show winners), and what would you do differently if you did it again?

Just curious as I prepare to do some painting.

Thanks,
    Dick B

Default Re: Paint Facilities

I used Poly-Tone, painted in my basement, built plastic walls and used a shop air cleaner to provide ventilation. Some fumes permeated the house resulting in some warranted grief. Painting was easy and the results seem good, if I where to do it again I would look into the Stewart System. I painted as I went which suited me well, I finished the wings, painted them and put them away before covering the fuselage.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

Dick, I bought a 10 x 20 temporary carport with metal frame and tarp roof. Over this I applied 2 layers of 6 mil poly. I had lights and fan ventilation. When summer came I borrowed a 3 ton AC unit because of the humid summers in Atlanta area. This was located away from the house, but when I painted or covered my wife knew it. I thoroughly enjoyed the covering process ( I used poly-Fiber), but the painting was the least favorite of the entire build process. ( I used aerothane). I do not have a Grand Champion paint job but was satisfied with final result. Just took longer than I had anticipated. If I were to do it again I would look into Stewart System also. My brother and I just finished an RV-9A and I told him early on I had painted my first and last airplane.One piece of advise, if you think you need 5 lights in your paint shop, install ten! You cannot have enough.
    David E.
    Woodstock, Georgia
    N97DE S5 TD Flying

N97KE RV-9A Sold
    N96KE RV10 Sold
    Rans S21 Helping Brother Build (Selling)
    Vans RV-14A (On Order)

Built a 2x2 frame in half of a 2 car garage. Covered with clear poly. Sealed carefully (no leaks), installed paint booth filters in one end and paint booth exhaust fan (sealed) in the other. Used Polyfiber system. Installed many lights above (outside booth), still not enough light. Best light came during daytime through man door on side of garage - tried to shoot into reflection whenever possible. Took my time painting - over a year to cover and paint.

Note: Used many furnace filters to strip overspray from exhaust - neighbors were kind, did not complain much...... Oh, get yourself a quality paint gun and, if you have a beard like me, a forced air breathing system. (Obviously you'll want that breathing system anyway if shooting Aerothane)

Vic

Thanks for the replys. I have proceeded a little bit of all of your ways. Good to know that I'm in the ballpark. One of these days I'll have some pictures in a album.

Dick B

am i asking for an explosion if i use box fans as an exhaust for a homemade paint booth when spraying poly-brush, poly-spray, and poly-tone?
    ken

I have been painting airplanes for several years, lacquering brass instruments for the past 30 years, box fans are a no-no. You and your family's live's are worth every penny you spend for an explosive-proof exhaust fan. Try Grangers or check at your local electrical supply house. I use a variable speed fan in each spray room to control the draft of air flow depending on the size of the job, air temp and type paint being used. My main room is 12X24, I use a 1 hp fan 24 inch dia. blade. While were talking explosions what type lights are you using inside the room. If you have a light with a switch and it is not explosion proof you could have the same problem. If your doing a plastic room and it is airtight so to speak try keeping the lights outside the room. Plastic sheets will help defuse the light and you can see well as long as you are pulling the over spray out of the room.
    Just one persons thoughts.
    Jim

Garage with the door wide open on a very quiet still morning, with Aerothane.
    That's how I painted mine, and it's a very nice looking paint
    job.

My personal opinion is that home made spray booths are as prone to problems
    as spraying without anything ... If there's not much airborne crud while you
    are spraying, then the little bit that gets in the paint buffs out easily later.

I knew a guy that painted a lot of cars, and was really good, and he said -
    "you can paint with a broom in a dust storm as long as you rub it out later".
    It sounds crude, BUT I believe it is a very accurate statement.

Too much effort to make a Class 5 clean room for painting in, it's a waste of
    time really. As long as a moth doesn't land in the paint (and EVEN if one does)
    you can buff it all out easily later.

Regards,
    Jeff Hays

hey Ken,

I have just built a spray booth of plastic in one corner of the hanger - my main reason was to keep the spray contained - and the fumes. It works really well at that. I too was worried about the explosion risk so went for a blower that has a 5 m duct on it. The actual blower sits out of the booth near the front door of the hanger and I put and louvre exhaust vent in the other end of the booth to vent outside. The booth is not airtight so I need to prop the louvres open when spraying but it works well. As for lights - that worries me too so I have them on the outside now as per Jim's suggestion.

And a very good respirator is essential with double filters and disposal cartridges - cant smell a thing in there! And Googles go over my glasses as well!

cheers

RossMt Beauty
    OZ
    Last edited by rosslr; 09-15-2014 at 01:38 AM.

I've painted 2 airplanes with poly fiber system (not aerothane though) in a 16X 24 garage stall. I have plastic attached to the ceiling that can be and is rolled up and tied out of the way when not in use. (makes about a 6" circle) Room ends up being about 12'X22' Have a filter in window on the opposite end from the overhead door which I blocked up about 18" with a 20" box fan in the center of the opening and plywood on the sides. The fan moves enough air that I don't think there is any danger of explosion. You can't even see any spray in the air when you quit spraying. I used a cheap harbor freight gun and the planes came out fine. Jim Chuk
    Attached Images Attached Images