Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: "Tundra Tires"?

Default Re: "Tundra Tires"?

I agree. mine work great. I never had problems with how they stop. I guess you just need to make sure you have the little brass inserts at end of the line. If it's the see through line. The reason you need to insert is when you tighten the line it will pinch off.

The way mine work, if I had more, I would have to worry about the plane flipping over from to much brake. I can hold mine for a static check no problems. I only did one brake job on my 4. that was over 1800hrs ago. I just did an inspection on my brakes and they still have lots of pad. I generally never use my brakes anyway, what's the big deal

Now the tires. I have nanco. years ago I had the king fox tires, liked those. then I had to go to nanco, that first set was great, second set of nanco's, I think they are junk, but better than anything else at this point. they get memory. and the left wheel always bounces if it gets much more that 30mph on it. I might just buy a new set and try again.

I put on the Desser 21x8.00x6 Tundra tires. Seem to be very good quality-no problems with out-of-round or flat spotting. They are not as cheap as Nanco but still quite inexpensive-a little over $100 each. Paul Leadabrand at Stick & Rudder uses them on his plane when they don't need the big AK Bushwheels at $1100 a pop.

Jim

I second the Desser aero classics 21" .I didn't even balance mine and their vibration free and look great too

I got a set of the 21x8.00-6 Aero Classics for my project and weighed them today. Thought others might be interested in the comparison to stock.

The AirTrac 6.00-6 two tires and two tubes that came with my kit weighed 18 lbs. total.

The Aero Classic 21x8.00-6 two tires and two tubes weighed 27 lbs.

So looks like a weight increase of 9 lbs.

Now I wonder if I can convince my co-pilot to lose 9 lbs to compensate and live to tell the tale? Probably not.
    Rotax 912ULS / Whirlwind Prop
    Garmin G3X Touch

I got my 21" Nancos mounted. I weighed them with wheels at 10lbs each!

We got to take a tour of the AirFrame and Alaskan BushWheel Factory that makes the large Tundra tires that I have on my Kitfox. The process and curing takes time, so they are only able to make around 6 tires a day, but are sold world wide. They also build frames for Cub aircraft. They are located 200 feet from my hanger, so I can just walk across the parking lot to get service!
    Attached Images Attached Images

So has anyone considered going to a 12 inch ATV rim and tire? There is a pile of larger tires on the market for 12 inch rims. Some pretty fancy mags on the market for reasonable prices as well. Gotta look good!!!! I would like to put a 24 inch tire on my bird. Has 19 inch BF Goodrich Aviator with 6 inch rims on it now. Not sure what a 12 inch ATV rim and 24 inch ribbed tire would weigh in at. Would require a little adapting but doable.
    Kurt A

Kitfox II,
    Rotax 912,
    1100 gross
    Fixer Upper Project

Saw this ad and in the pictures it shows older ATV tires on the plane. They look heavy as heck to me.....but what do I know.
    http://mykitfoxthree.vpweb.com/

The ATV tires are pretty light. Any other wheels and tires would probably add weight unless you want to go for the tiny pavement only type.
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med

Wink Re: "Tundra Tires"?

I've always thought we needed a tire for our Kitfoxes that was somewhere between the $200 (or less) set of 21 inch tires and the $2,000 to $3,000 set of 26-31 inch Alaskan Bushwheel tires. But it seems that no one really made such a tire.

Then one day I discovered the Goodyear 26 inch "Blimp" tires. I originally bought a set of them for my Highlander, but honestly, they looked a bit whimpy on the Highlander (marginally too small). However, when I held them up against my model IV Kitfox project in my garage, they looked just about perfect. In fact, I'd say they looked pretty horny on the Kitfox (hey, that's what the real bush pilots call that...). The size was just about perfect, whereas many times the ABW's just look too large compared to the size of the airplane (IMHO).

So here's what I have since learned about the Goodyear 26 inch tire - the good, and the bad;

- The GY's can be bought for $665, vs $1320 for 29 inch Airstreak ABW's, and $1100 for 26 inch Airstreak ABW's

- The load rating for the GY is much higher than the Airstreak 26 inch ABW, (so the GY's are PLENTY strong for even a heavy Kitfox).

- The GY's are not actually 26 inch, but more like 24.5 inch diameter (I've measured mine)

- The GY's are heavier than the 21 inch tires, but similar to the ABW's

- The GY's being much larger than the 21's will be much better in the bush than the smaller tires

- The GY's are well proven in the Alaskan bush environment, but in the real rough stuff, the ABW's reign supreme as they are much softer

- The GY's will wear like iron on pavement, while the ABW's will wear VERY fast on hard surface -even if just taxiing

- While the GY's are much harder/stiffer than the ABW's, the long term benefit is that it is difficult to actually wear out a set of them, even on pavement

- For the GY's to work well, they should be installed tubeless (install a gasket or O-ring between the wheel haves) and run at air pressures of 7-8 lbs (If tubes are used, the tire tends to slip on the wheel rim causing failure of the tube valve stems. So tire needs to be screwed to bead if tubes used).

- Overall feel of the Goodyear on your airplane will be very similar to an 8.50 aircraft tire, but the tire is much taller and wider than the 8.50

So if any of your are looking for a tire to be used in the backcountry, primarily operate from pavement, but want a bush wheel that looks cool, you might want to consider the Goodyear 26inch tire on your Kitfox.

I think it is a really good compromise for the "gentleman bush pilots" that a good share of us are likely to be.

(here's a link that includes GY tire info plus discussions regarding use - including a link to GY discussion on the Matronics Kitfox forum; http://www.skygeek.com/goodyear-26-x-10-5-x-6-smooth-tundra-tire.html )

First Pic below; 850's vs Goodyear 26 inch. 2nd Pic; 26 GY on a Highlander 3rd pic; Goodyears look good like the ABW, just smaller
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by av8rps; 10-01-2014 at 02:28 PM.