Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Kitfox crash today Greene, NY

Default Kitfox crash today Greene, NY

Sad news here in my neighborhood. Kitfox model 5 crashed and burned. Pilot was airlifted. Details lacking at this time.

http://www.wbng.com/news/local/Pilot...461.html?vid=a

Default Re: Kitfox crash today Greene, NY

Thanks Tom. Best wishes for the pilot.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Damned burns I hate to hear that, they hurt like hell! I hope him a speedy recovery, and Gods Blessing.

Paul Z
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

I heard that on the news and you were the only guy I knew out that way that had one.

I'd be very interested to know the details on the accident.

I have a little more information regarding the Kitfox crash from 9-1-2014. Apparently this was the first flight by a new owner who was not the builder. It may have been the first flight since completion of construction, I'm not sure on that point. The engine was a form of Subaru and reported to be a direct drive. The airplane was using a grass strip 2849' in length. As reported by my fellow pilot/friend the kitfox was able to takeoff in ground effect but unable to climb. The owner/pilot tried unsuccessfully to make a 180 degree turn and return to the field with altitude at or below 50'. The pilot was a high time tailwheel flyer. I have no information regarding the extent of injuries other that what was on the news the day after the accident saying multiple internal injuries. At this point it sounds like a case of engine related lack of power but that's just a guess. If more information becomes available I will pass it along.

My flight instructor knew the guy that witnessed the whole thing and was the first one to arrive at the crash. I guess he had been having power problems with the engine before and when he tried to turn back to the airport the wing dropped and went into a spin. I did not know it was a Subaru engine though.