Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 38 of 87 FirstFirst ... 2834353637383940414248 ... LastLast

Thread: Oz build SS7

Default Re: Oz build SS7

hey Phil - looks like we are neck and neck at the moment! Good work! You will surge ahead now though as I am going over the Bali for October - ordered the paint though for when I get back! HOpe your painting goes well - sounds like you are lucky to have a proper paint booth at your disposal - I look forward to seeing the result and hearing how it goes for. What colour scheme are you going with Phil?

cheers

Ross
    Mt Beauty
    OZ

Hey Ross,

Yes, I have a very nice paint booth available where I work which is really helpful. I'm painting mine in Poly Tone with Insignia white and Pontiac red. My paint arrived a week ago.

I don't know if you can read my tail # in the drawing. I am using our anniversary and initials for our registration number. It is kind of funny that our initials "PK" are the same as the letters for Indonesian registered planes.

Do you spend your time in Bali on business? I've only seen Bali from the Denpasar airport. We lived in Papua/Irian Jaya for 20 years where I flew with MAF.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

phil, i may need to steal your paint scheme; substituting blue for red and yellow for black. i was also going to use our anniversary for the tail number but it appears to be taken already.

ken

Very nice paint scheme.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

The first thing that I thought of when I saw it was the Indonesian flag Phil! IT looks really great - I like the principal of a bold colour on top, white on the bottom with the defining black stripe. Although we haven't finalised our scheme, we have ordered the Poly Tone white, Lemon yellow and black and plan to follow the same principle. Finalising the scheme will be a job for Bali!

I did assume that you had been flying around PNG from the tag name. And having spent a bit of time up there, I am full of respect! We also have few friends who were Kiaps up there in the old days.

As for Bali, we actually sailed up there back in the 90's after building a yacht. Left OZ from Cairns and sailed direct to Samarai, out along the Lousisiades and then up along the coast - spent a fair bit of time based in Madang before getting clearance across the top into West Papua, entering at Jayapura. From there we continued up that coast and around the Banda Island over to Bali and back to the Tanibars before going back to OZ. About 3 years in total. We have a house up in Bali that we build with the locals. - long story but it is in a fishing village, away from the tourist stuff and we love living with the locals and doing what we can do make a difference. that's a whole other story, but pleasure (if you call working with the locals pleasure!) rather than business. But if you are over that way, let us know and come stay! But it is up for sale at the moment as we have other interests back here ( like building a KF!) and my sister and another friend have a house there also if we need a place to chill out.

Anyway, too much information I guess! Best for the painting Phil - must away to the hanger and get the last of the Poly Brush on the fuselage!

cheers
    Ross
    Mt Beauty
    OZ

Default Taking a break!

Today I finished the spray coats of PolyBrush and it is now all ready for the Poly Spray coats when I return in late October. I also sprayed a coat of epoxy undercoat on the inspection covers. And now, we are off for October to have a break. Looking forward to returning and starting the top coats!

cheers
    Ross
    Mt Beauty
    OZ
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks very nice. In my experience though, going to the Polyspray has never been that easy. All of the spray coats tend to lift some of the pinked edges of the finish tapes. Lots of ironing between coats. The manual, at least the ones I have, mention that you can't iron the Polyspray. You can if you have some Teflon film. On the elevator I just finished spots kept popping up even after the third Polyspray coat.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

Thanks Lowell. Yes, that is my experience too. I have completed the polyspray on everything but the fuselage and also found I needed to do a lot of ironing. Although I have taken a fair bit if time with the fuselage at the Poly brush stage this time to try and get really smooth, 'embedded' tape edges. I also read that grounding might help. I used oven proof paper for ironing the Poly Spray and 225 degrees. I have found that works well as long as I don't leave the iron still for long - it will leave an iron impression in the Poly Spay.

You look to be steaming along Lowell! I guess you have a little experience in building these planes! Best wishes for good progress.

Ross
    Mt Beauty
    OZ

Looking good , Ross.

Has Brian been up to inspect your good work yet?
    Was he easy on you?

Rob.

Hi Rob,

NO, I have been away for a month and in Bris on way home as we speak - He will be coming up soon I hope - looking forward to it - I didnt know you knew him?

cheer

r