Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Avid fiberglass floats questions

Default Avid fiberglass floats questions

Hi all, I recently picked up a set of Avid factory made fiberglass floats. Not anphibs however. Is anyone useing or used this type of floats in the past? I'm trying to learn a bit about them. I got no paperwork with these. Thanks, Jim Chuk

Default Re: Avid fiberglass floats questions

I think I have a set just like yours. I believe mine are about 12 feet long but I don't have the rigging. I'm still building so haven't tried them yet. I'm thinking now that they may be too short for a KF3 from reading about the length of other floats. Sorry don't have better info for you at this time but if anyone is using them on a KF3 I also would like to here back.

Thanks for the reply, mine are 12' 6" long, 18" at the widest, and 18" at the highest. I don't have the rigging either, but Airdale can make it up for you. I'm probably not planing on keeping these, they came with a project that I thought was a fair price. If I lived on a lake, it would be great to fly on floats in the summer, and skis in the winter, but such is not the case. I do have my own grass strip though so it's wheels in summer, and skis in winter. Take care, Jim Chuk
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have well over a thousand hours flying those Avid floats. In my opinion they are one of the easiest floats to fly, and have a tremendous amount of forward buoyancy, making them a very safe float for a low time seaplane pilot. And even though it was an inexpensive float, it worked very well.

The float will work well on any Avid or Kitfox up to an empty weight of about 625 lbs. But if you put them on a heavier aircraft they will start running out of buoyancy at gross weights over 1200 lbs. Plus, being that these floats were designed for 400 lb Avid Flyers, when used on heavier aircraft you will need to remember to be gentle with them. They are constructed of an exterior fibreglass shell with a foam filled interior, which is nowhere near as strong as a float built with modern composite techniques that sandwich foam between layers of fibreglass.

Jim, since they are dissembled would you be able to throw a float on a scale without too much trouble? I was always curious how much they weighed. Good way to know if they sucked in any water over the years as well. Thx, Doug
    -Aeropro CZ Aerotrek A240 Tri-Gear SLSA 912uls
    -Airdale Avid+ on CZAW Amphibs 'FatAvid Floater' (building)
    -Kitfox 4-1200 TD 912ul (sold)
    -Kitfox Model III TD 582 (R.I.P.)
    -Avid Flyer Mk-IV TD (sold)

Hi Doug, I grabbed a bathroom scale and tried to get weights on the floats. One came in at 70 lb, the other was 66. I did have 2 2X4 X 2 1/2' boards laying on the scale to keep the floats in place, just guessing, that would be about 4 lbs. At that rate, 66 lbs on one, and 62 lbs on the other. I got to thinking afterwards, and wondered if I had the floats centered on the scale. Don't know if that would make a difference or not. Take care, Jim Chuk

Thanks Jim. I have a buddy with an Avid C Aerobat on Aqua 1150 straight floats who can't get his plane off the water, regardless of wind or water conditions. And he's not a big guy either. Aqua website says 75lbs per float, plus 20lbs for rigging = 170lbs total install weight. They do look kinda big and heavy compared to the Avid floats so I was just wondering what the weights were. I still think his prop or 582 must be out of whack some, but he really needs a set of HH wings to do it right. If Paul doesn't have the rigging instructions you need, Snaps can probably help you out. You can find his contact info in the Avid Flyer Yahoo Group. I'm attaching a few pics of the Avid 'pipe' rigging, maybe that will help some too. Take care, Doug
    Attached Images Attached Images
    -Aeropro CZ Aerotrek A240 Tri-Gear SLSA 912uls
    -Airdale Avid+ on CZAW Amphibs 'FatAvid Floater' (building)
    -Kitfox 4-1200 TD 912ul (sold)
    -Kitfox Model III TD 582 (R.I.P.)
    -Avid Flyer Mk-IV TD (sold)

Smile Re: Avid fiberglass floats questions

Quote Originally Posted by dholly View Post
    I have a buddy with an Avid C Aerobat on Aqua 1150 straight floats who can't get his plane off the water, regardless of wind or water conditions....snip...snip....
    I'm not surprised that an Avid Speedwing/Aerobat won't get off the water with Aqua floats. That small 24 ft wing needs a lot of forward speed to create enough lift to haul that Avid into the air. Add to that fact the riveted (high drag) step area of the Aqua float, and I'm guessing he is not able to get his Avid to accelerate up to a speed fast enough to lift off.

If you'd like to help him ask him if he's able to acclerate on water past the speed needed to lift off on wheels? If he can't, replacing the wings would certainly be the best option. But he could also try increasing the angle of attack of the wing when on the step (modifying float rigging) so as to maximize the amount of lift the wing generates at the slowest speed practical. If that still doesn't do it, a float with a smooth bottom like the Avid or Aerocet float has would also probably help.

I hate to see a guy struggling with an airplane, much less a seaplane.

The 18" wing extentensions will give you just about the same performance as the HH wing will as far a STOL. I tested my HH side by side with a buddies extended speed wing and I could taket he speed wing everywhere I take my HH and get in and out just a short. The extended speed wing actually has a better climb rate than my HH.

Hi guys, just letting everyone know, I've put these floats up for sale (the ones in the first pictures, not the ones with the spreader bars and such) I have to get $1500 for them. I posted them on barnstormers also. I have more pics if anyone needs to see them. Call me if you want to talk about them. 218-254 two four zero four. If need be, I could build a box to ship them in if I was paid for materials and stuff. Thanks, Jim Chuk