Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Fuel Tank Install

Default Fuel Tank Install

Two questions -
    1. At the root end, the tank sits above the spar because it sits on top of the spar reinforcement fitting. I would need to dremel off about 1/32" about 3/4" out on the flange in order for it to sit down on the spar evenly. Thoughts on this?

2. The manual says to fill in between the tank and the #1 and #3 ribs with flox loaded epoxy. I have about 3/16" gap between the tank and the rib on each side. Is it intended to fill this in without any backing underneath?

Thanks
    Tom Livermore

Default Re: Fuel Tank Install

Tom,
    I have used a width of thin balsa to back up the epoxy. I also filed and sanded the flanges as needed to get good fits all around. Plenty of material thickness on my tanks.
    - Gary
    S7 SuperSport Tri-gear
    w/Rotax 912, Oratex, Dynon

Default Re: Fuel Tank Install

Same here, but I used tape as a backing under the epoxy. I dremeled the flang at the spar reinforcement so the tank sat down snugly on the spar and level with the top of the ribs.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS