Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Bowden cable- lubricate?

Default Bowden cable- lubricate?

Do the Bowden cables need occassional lubricant? I was trying to sync my carbs last night as it was getting dark. I was able to get the Carbmate to pretty much stay green at 2000 rpm and again at 4-4500 rpm. It would jump around a bit to the next light but I had to give up due to getting late and pushed the plane back into the hangar. After getting home I started thinking I may have a sticking throttle cable. These are original 1996 vintage throttle cables with 200 hours on them but the still look nearly new. I forgot to look to see if they were nylon lined or not. Left the maintaince manual in the hangar also and now I am wondering if these cables should be lubricated.
    If so what is the best lubricant? LPS or a silicone based lube? I am guessing if they have a nylon sleeve there is either no requirement or to use something with silicone.
    I may have some graphite but doubt it.

Default Re: Bowden cable- lubricate?

I use this product each year when I do my annual condition inspection. It works pretty well, but can be messy.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med