Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 32 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2228293031323334353642 ... LastLast

Thread: Esser's Build

Default Re: Esser's Build

They do need a bit of a sanding but it's pretty obvious what needs to be done.

In hind sight, a glob of superfil might have been nice to fair the transition to the rib.

Sorry my photobucket account isn't working so no pictures.

Done taping the fuselage. Still need to cover the elevator and the rudder. After that, covering is done .

I'm thinking of changing my nice paint scheme to one colour as well.....
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Well she is painted. Had a few small issues that mostly came down to my prep work (ie I globbed polytak on the fabric, cleaned it up, painted it and found out it wasn't as cleaned up as I thought). As you can see, I changed the scheme to all black.

Glad this big step is over. It definitely makes it feel like an airplane now.

------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

I think it looks fantastic Josh! Can't wait to see it all back together now.

I think I can hear a cheer across the Tasman sea from our New Zealand cousins!!

cheers

ross
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.
    Landcruiser and Cub off road camper (doesn't get any kudos on this forum!)

Wow, that is looking really nice! Did you use Aerothane or what process? That is a nice paint booth that you had access to also.

I had the same thing happen, where all the little blemishes really showed up when I put the paint on. Most of us aren't building show planes and you can live with it. It's going to fly the same.

Are you hoping to have it flying this year?
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Thanks guys!

Ross, they still like the black even though they voted to keep the union jack?

If I have it flying this time next year I will be happy. I have a pretty busy work summer. I will only be home 4 days a month.

The product is called Endura. It is a high quality urethane specially formulated for aviation fabric. They will have a booth at Oshkosh if you are interested in talking to them. It's incredibly durable and solvent resistant. You can get higher gloss finishes than I put on and there are over 40,000 colours in their catalog.

I was very fortunate that my buddy let me use his booth at work and that I had some great help.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Making good progress Josh. Good friends with paint booths are great to have.
    Enjoying your posts and following your build.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Well I am late for a post. I got the plane back on its mains then went back to work and then I went to Oshkosh. I managed to get an afternoon to put the windshield in place. I did this task by myself without cracking or breaking anything. I have a theory that with just one person I was better able to gauge how much stress I was putting at the bend.

Does anyone know what it is acrylic and not lexan? Does PC not hold the mould?

Now I am back at work

The good news is I am changing careers! After a year long application process which included multiple exams, tests, and interviews, I received a training offer two days ago to train as an IFR controller for NAV Canada based out of Edmonton starting in October. 3,000 people a year apply and only 50-80 people make it this far so needless to say, I am pretty excited. I will no longer have to work out of town and have much more free time to myself.

Work on the plane may slow because of the training but it will be worth it in the end.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Cupar, SK, Canada CLC4 Loon Creek Airfield

Its Acrylic made by LP Aero Plastics.
    Kevin,

Kitfox Outback
    912 ULS
    Airmaster AP332CTFH-WWR70W
    Summit Aircraft Wheel Skis
    C-FOXW

Awesome Josh! Love to hear when someone achieves a milestone. Congrats! Looks like the build is coming along.
    Eddie

Sorry I had spelling errors in there. I was asking why it is acrylic and not lexan.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3