Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: BRS KF7 Mounting Ideas

Default BRS KF7 Mounting Ideas

Hi All,

I have searched for BRS 1350HS mounting options. I have called BRS and have received the mounting suggestions. They look good, but not to much detail. Obviuosly I would like to keep the weight As far forward as possible which should have an minimal overall effect on my CG. The BRS option looks to be mounted fairly far aft which at 29-32lbs suspect would have an adverse affect.

I already have the BRS 1350HS so it will go in its just how. I know the KF is a proven design, and not really needed. As its been said before I have precious cargo I will deal with the penalties that go along with it.

Any photos or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Especially from S7 owners.
    Kitfox 7-Flying
    ABW 26", T3, ABW 3200 Tailwheel
    Rotax 912ULS, Warp Drive Taper

Default Re: BRS KF7 Mounting Ideas

Hi Jared,

No Photos (I have not installed a chute); however, I am relatively certain that BRS has studied the application for the S7 and, if it were me, I would stick with their engineering. Be aware that BRS did make units for early Kitfoxes which I believe enables them to have a pretty good understanding of fitting the unit to a kitfox - the fuselage design of a kitfox which affects mounting the rocket isn't all that different from early to recent.

If you are going to install it, I would put it exactly where BRS says to put it and just bite the bullet on the weight & figure out the balance.

Is your plane certified for 1550 on it's special airworthiness cert? - if so, you should have pretty good capacity to add the chute. I do not have a BRS unit; however, in spite of the fact that our S7, due to equipment on board, is 860# on the EW - I find that I can load myself, an adult passenger, full fuel and still have 140# for the baggage bay within W/B limitations.

I am certain that you could approach BRS and get the additional details you need for the installation; and, I would certainly suggest BRS, with their role in engineering and manufacturing, would be the best source for best installation information.

Sincerely,
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

Thanks Dave,

Its the road I am currently traveling. I will post my install so there will finally be some pertinent data on the subject.

I hope I have some baggage capacity after the fact. Yes I am 1550 GW.
    Kitfox 7-Flying

Jared,

With the 1550, you likely have considerably more flexibility than if it were at 1320.

I think your decision to go with the BRS; although most do not have it, has been a question a number of buiders have considered so the experience you gain in doing this will certainly be of interest to others.

I have had the opportunity to visit with the BRS folks as they are local to where I live & fly; and, they have done presentations at our local EAA chapter meetings. Listening to Boris share his story of surviving a structural failure without a chute, where the luck of being over water was apparently the only hope; and, that being the genesis for his interest in seeing this technology develope is pretty compelling.

No question the hardware takes up space and adds weight. In your quest for a better location for the rocket to deal with the W/B I would consider quizzing BRS and seeing if they feel there would be better location that would not compromize functioning of the unit.

Take care,
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

How much does the unit weigh?

29lbs

Im sure it'll be another couple for mounting and Bridles
    Kitfox 7-Flying

Jared, I found this on youtube. It does not show in detail the entire install so it is not a complete guide for a Kitfox.

http://youtu.be/ReQ5Mdn0TDI

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear