Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Fixin a flat

Default Fixin a flat

I had a flat this morning. I had just landed for the second time and was taxiing back to go out again when my right tire suddenly went flat. I got off the taxiway and got a buddy to bring a dolly and we towed it back to my hanger and pulled the wheel off. The inner tube had a tiny hole. I didn't notice anything wrong when I landed but it must have been leaking and I only noticed when it broke its bead. Sure glad I didn't land on a flat tire. Air pressure was fine when I did my preflight. I didn't find anything in the tire that caused a puncture. Anyway, I went to my aircraft parts supplier, NAPA, and bought an inner tube repair kit. Question number one, is it a good idea to patch it? I know it's probably better to buy a new tube but one look at the prices in the Spruce catalog gave me second thoughts. Question number two: When I pulled the tube out and was feeling around for some sharp object inside the tire I found something called a balance pad. I hadn't seen one of those before and neither had my A&P buddy. The pad wasn't glued in but it probably was at some point. Anybody seen one of these before? No big deal, just new to me. Question number three: I have a model 4 with a Grove gear and it has all the Speedster options. The wheels are not the 6x6 on most Foxes. The inside width on mine is only about 2 3/4 inches and the total outside is 4 inches. I'm currently running 600x6 tires. I guess there's no way those 22 inch Dessers I've been lusting over will work on those narrow wheels, huh? Some good news though. I tried out the new Matco 8" pneumatic tailwheel. It felt great! Thanks, James THomas

Default Re: Fixin a flat

Ive fixed my Mountain bike tire with a patch when a flat occurred out in the sticks. The first thing I do before another ride is replace the tube or tire depending on if Im riding tubeless. I believe your intuition is answering your question and you may be letting your wallet persuade you otherwise. Sucks but I believe the cost is worth it. As the old adage says, if its not broken don't fix it. In your case the tube is broken.

If the tube was very old, and got a hole in it from just giving out, then sure replace it, but if it was a puncture, I would just patch it and go on with life. If it was a tube less tire would you throw it away if it ran over a thorn or nail? I wouldn't if the tire wasn't tore up and just had a small hole in it. YMMV Jim Chuk

If the tube is in good condition go ahead and patch it. Make sure you check the stem area for cracks or tears first and reject it if there is anything wrong there.

I have seen and used balance pads. We put them inside of tires instead of using lead weights on the rim. To use them you need to clean the inside of the tire so they will stick well. Often there is powder or waxy stuff on the inside.

While we are on the subject of tires going flat it is a good idea to paint a slip mark on the tire to rim. You can check this on preflight or after any heavy braking. If the tire every slips on the rim you need to disassemble it and check the stem area for tearing. If it slips too far you will have an instantly flat tire.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Quote Originally Posted by PapuaPilot View Post
    If the tube is in good condition go ahead and patch it. Make sure you check the stem area for cracks....
    True if you operate with low tire pressure you are more likely to see slippage and damage the stem.
    Michael Meyers
    KF IV
    Las Vegas, NV

Good point about lower tire pressure, I forgot to mention that. I'm running 12-13 psi these (Desser 850 x 6 tundra tires).

Sorry the picture of my tire isn't that good, but I think you get the idea of painting a slip mark.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Maybe too obvious, but hasn't been mentioned. Worth patching and keeping the tube as a spare in your travel kit or in your shop.

Greg