Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Underwing camping

Default Underwing camping

I mentioned in another thread we really enjoyed the camping part of our trip. And as others do a fair bit of this I thought it might be useful to have a thread that shares somes tips on equipment and techniques that work.

Gayle and I really enjoy being able to set up camp right beside the plane. Camping does however require a fair bit of gear so it is essential to give careful thought to the amount, the weight and type of gear you take on your camping trips. But there is no denying the feeling of being out there and sleeping beside your plane - even though on the night the following picture was taken we were entertained by the sounds of wild camels and dingos all night!

IMG_3800.jpg

To get the ball rolling, I took a photo of the basic set of gear we took on our recent trip that served us well. I will describe it here.

Top row from L - R: 2 thermarest mattresses, 2 sleeping bags, Water in lt bottles(easier to stash into small spaces), tent - standing room is our preference - could be smaller, below tent is windscreen shield for short stops, far right is our plane cover (locally made).

Second row from L - R: Tool box, below tool box is hand pump (dont like idea of using battery to run a compressor), Yellow bag 1 is tie downs and ropes, yellow bag 2 is puncture repair kit and tyre gauge, next are home made oversize wheel chocks, below that is portable fuel bladder that lies flat on baggage area (missing is bag with fuel syphon and filter), next is butane cooker and gas ( we use the Fire Maple stove and special billy that boils water in about 1 minute. Finally is an LED lantern and two folding camp stools.
    IMG_4337.jpg

All the gear is weighed and the weight is written on the bag to help do a weight and balance . Our experience is that that baggage area bulks out before being over weight.

Hope this is of interest and I look forward to learning form those of you with a lot more experience that us in camping with your plane.

cheers

ross
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.
    Landcruiser and Cub off road camper (doesn't get any kudos on this forum!)

Default Re: Underwing camping

Ross,
    I carry a similar fuel bag. The one I use is sold by Airframes Alaska. It holds 5.2 gallons and sells for $95. I see yours says Jerry Flex. I did a google search for it but couldn't find it. Can you provide more information about the one you use? Capacity, price, where to get? Thanks.
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos

Nice setup Ross, how many days of food did you bring at a time? Were they dehydrated meals or all fresh?

Natalie and I have big plans when the plane is done to camp all through the Yukon, NWT, and Northern BC. These are places that are almost only accessible by plane.

After your trip, is there anything you would add or change to your setup?
    Last edited by Esser; 06-11-2016 at 07:23 AM.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Hey Ross, what does everything in the picture weigh?
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Josh, we carried food for a couple of days - mostly dried. and varied the amount of water we carried according to how remote we were, hot is was and if there were rivers or had been rain in the region. A couple of times we bought fresh food for a couple of meals before leaving a town.

Steve, the fuel bag is by http://www.liquidcontainment.com.au/...ight-Air-Craft
    It cost about $100 Aus. Good to store flat on the baggage area and is build to MilSpec. It is a little awkward to get up on the wing but we got into a routine and used a syphon and filter when transferring the fuel.

Phil, here is a list of the wieights: (in Kgs - sorry to US people)

Plane essential items
    Wheel chocks 1.0kg
    2 sets of tie downs 3.9kg
    Tools 5.3kg
    fuel bladder 1.1kg
    Fuel fill equip 1.8kg
    Hand pump 1.0kg
    Cover 2.2kg
    Water 10kg
    Fuel 17kg

Camping gear
    Tent 5.0kg
    Inflatable mattresses 2.2kg
    Stools 1.8kg
    Sleeping bags 3kg
    Camping stove and light 2.6kg
    Camp kitchen gear 2.0kg

Food 3.8kg
    Cloth and toiletries 9.0kg
    Shoes 2.1kg
    Ross backpack 4.5kg
    Gayle backpack 4.4kg

This put us pretty near MTOW. You will note we included max amount of water and assumed the fuel bladder was full - which it was only once. But we needed to make sure we could carry it if needed.

What would we change?? Fewer clothes and personal gear. Only on e set of tie downs (we were trialling two sets).

We are learning how to do this so understand we are not experts. I would be interested to hear from Scott and Doug who I know do a lot of camping - and others also of course.

cheers

ross
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.

Great thread Ross. One thing I have which saves a lot of weight and space is instead of the tire hand pump you show, I carry a small valve and two CO2 cartridges which fit on the tire valve stem and can meter CO2 into the tire. They are available at bicycle shops and are made compact and light. Weighs maybe 3 oz.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Fantastic thread. jiott, I carry those co2 cartridges on my bicycle. How many would be needed to fill 21 inch tire? Let's keep this thread going.
    Stan Inzer
    912 ULS
    Dynon Skyview 10"
    N599KF

I think 1 cartridge will do it, but maybe someone can verify. I carry two just in case.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Smile Re: Underwing camping

That's a good tip Jim. I haven't seen them but will look this week as it will save both weight and space. I would also be interested in what you take as a puncture repair kit. We carry plugs, the spike tools and glue. We have 26" tubless alaskan bushwheels. I think the prospect of spiking a tyre in remote areas worries me most.

Maybe you can prompt Scott to chip in here too as he seems to spend more time on his camp cot than at home!

cheers

r
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ

I did get a flat one time in the backcountry. I was able to lift the wing and get the tire off the ground a couple of times, which seemed to suck enough air back into the tire so I could take off. Landed very carefully and purchased a can of Flat Tire repair which I always carry now.

Also, I've carried many types of camp chairs. Most are bulky and hard to pack. When camping, a chair is nice to have, and one with a good back is priceless! This is the best one I've found. The frame comes apart into several pieces and it all roles up into the seat, which goes into a small pouch type bag.

More incidentals: My wife and I each only take two sets of clothing, usually shorts/short sleeve shirt and jeans/long sleeve shirt. Wear one set, pack the other set (we each have a small stuff bag for our clothing); an extra pair of light shoes (also in their own stuff bags); One down-filled nylon jacket each and a stocking cap (each jacket/stocking cap combo in a stuff bag). It's always cold at night when you camp. I have found stuff bags are much easier to pack in the plane than loose items and, much easier to pack than the boxes things come in from the store. When sleeping, we put our down jackets in their stuff bags and use them for pillows.
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos