Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New Kitfox owner

Default New Kitfox owner

I thought it was about time I introduced myself. My name is Mark. I've been lurking here for over a year. Last August I went to Stick and Rudder and got my tailwheel endorsement as well as attending the factory fly in. Needless to say those two experiences solidified my decision to own a kitfox. Reading the forum and watching Barnstormers everyday, I was beginning to feel a bit discouraged about finding just the right airplane for me. I saw great options all over the place, Florida, New York, Texas, Washington. Living in Colorado meant that all of these options were quite a ways from me. Finally, through some googling, I found a local EAA chapter list that revealed to me two kitfox owners within a 45 min drive from where I live. I contacted them through email and one responded saying he may be interested in selling his. He built a RV and hasn't flown the Kitfox for 10 years. He had an oil issue on his last flight that had not been resolved since. Some of you may recognize the plane from this thread.

http://www.teamkitfox.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=6926

Without being able to fly the airplane and not really knowing what the issue was we came to an agreement on a good price.

Here are photos from the first day we went and looked at it.

http://inphotography.net/sytist/clients/kitfox/

Deciding between building and buying is hard but I figured that with such a good base of an airplane, I would save a lot of time even if I had to put a whole new motor in it. So here is the day we brought her home just 4 days after seeing her for the first time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xpr-M1IGYE

Now approaching a month later, after some TLC, we fired her up for the first time in 10 years. Oh and by the way the oil leak was from the line for the remote mounted oil pressure sensor. It was not secured very well and was rubbing against part of the engine mount and gave way about 100 hours in. So everyone should check that next time they have the cowl open.

Having a spouse that is excited about this as I am is one of the coolest things I can imagine. She has been documenting this whole process and I can't thank her enough for that. So here is the first start up. WARNING: THERE IS SOME CREATIVE LANGUAGE IN THE VIDEO. I told you she is excited.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amuHhldBTNc

There are still some things that will need to be resolved before I fly it. Mostly making sure all the rubber is in good condition. And a few other little things here and there.

Sorry for the long post but it is well past due as I have garnered a lot from this awesome forum. It's part of the reason I know the kitfox is for me.

Default Re: New Kitfox owner

Hey, good for you. Seems like you are heading in the right direction. And it's nice to have a spouse that is supportive of the adventure as well. Mine doesn't try to stop me in any way from flying, but want's no part of it for herself. Have fun and keep the posts, pictures and videos coming. Jim Chuk

That is great, Mark! Nice to see the pictures and videos, even with the wind sound. Someday, hopefully before too much longer, a couple of us builders in the Denver area (S 7 SS's) will be flying, and we'll climb over to Kremmling & see you!
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Thanks Jim and John. One of the best parts of this whole adventure is that I'm at the airport more than I'm not. It's been a blast meeting all the guys out there. I love company, come by anytime! Pilots are good people.
    Mark Sprague
    914 Series 6 - flying

You have a Kitfox AND a Four Wheel Camper.

Not sure how I feel about that

Ha Ha. I feel pretty good about it although it will make it hard to decide how to recreate here soon.
    Mark Sprague
    914 Series 6 - flying

Congrats on your new toy, looks and sounds great. It's always nice to get a bird back in the air!
    -Aeropro CZ Aerotrek A240 Tri-Gear SLSA 912uls
    -Airdale Avid+ on CZAW Amphibs 'FatAvid Floater' (building)
    -Kitfox 4-1200 TD 912ul (sold)
    -Kitfox Model III TD 582 (R.I.P.)
    -Avid Flyer Mk-IV TD (sold)

Great plane, pictures, and video! Prolly way down your list but check the bolts that contain the tail wheel spring. Mine had (2) AN-3. They can break. AN-4 is better. You're gonna have a blast with your new KF!!

Congratulations. The photography aspect is like the frosting on the cake - especially with the photographer/videographer on board. As a new friend, I think I would be remiss if I didn't mention one of the regular guys in our flights of five - or six - Kitfoxes over the years. His Kitfox was silver (gray) with light blue sunburst trim. Early on our group flights we would often hear a radio call saying, "Larry turn on your blinkers". He was easy to lose in the group.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

Floog- Thanks for the heads up. I appreciate the collective knowledge on this forum. If anybody sees anything that should be rectified please let me know.

Lowell- The blue is definitely going to be hard to see in the air. It isn't the paint scheme I would have chosen myself but the paint was low on the priority list when looking for an airplane. Flying like I ride a motorcycle, as though you are invisible, and being very vigilante about see and avoid, are most important, I believe. Also, flying with the lights on all the time. Maybe someday she will get a new paint job, but not for a long time.
    Mark Sprague
    914 Series 6 - flying