Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much difference does a pax make to landing?

Default How much difference does a pax make to landing?

Well, I can sort of answer my own question but .... would love your thoughts/reflections from the wiser and experienced on this site.

I know have about 70 hrs on the plane and for the last 10 or so hrs have been really setting out to nail the approaches, flares and roll outs in different configurations and then applying them to different scenarios. Mostly I do this each morning for about 3/4hr and by myself. I have noticed a pattern creeping in where I get really good results by myself - then often someone calls by and we go for a circuit and I bugger it up - usually in the flair. The result is a bounce. I am starting to think I am not compensating for the extra weight and using the same approach speed and flair as I do for just me in the plane. My thinking is that, with the extra weight, the speed and flair is not sufficient to compensate for the extra weight and results in kissing the ground a bit early (not pretty)! Maybe I should compensate with an extra 3-5 kts approach speed with the extra weight?

All thoughts/advice appreciated as it will help my thought process in sorting this!

cheers

r
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.
    Landcruiser and Cub off road camper (doesn't get any kudos on this forum!)

Default Re: How much difference does a pax make to landing?

I am not a CFI, but I do have about 500 hours in my Kitfox IV so I will take a stab at your question. Most of my flights are solo but every now and then I take up a passenger. I don't know if it is really necessary to add a few knots on approach when carrying a passenger. In landing my KF I basically make a gradual descent until I feel the KF go in to "ground effect", then I gradually reduce the throttle to idle and use the stick to let the plane "settle in"and gently touch down on the wheels. With time you will be able to gently land your aircraft without looking at the airspeed indicator. You develop a feel for your planes approach, flair, and settle in velocities. The other thing I have found that helps with landings is to avoid the temptation to look down at the ground underneath you. If you focus your vision further out to the horizon you will find not only is it easier to keep the plane straight, but your awareness of your proximity to the ground is better. I surmise your brain is better able to process info garnered from looking at the horizon (real not artificial) than looking at the ground underneath you. So when I am carrying added weight I don't think I increase my airspeed per se, but I do use the same approach, flair, and "settle in" rates.
    Michael Meyers
    KF IV
    Las Vegas, NV

Rosslr,

Are you going for a 3 point landing or wheel landing?

A well executed wheel landing with some increased speed at flare (55-60 mph) will get rid of that bounce when carrying more weight/warm temperatures. Of course this approach will lengthen landing roll. If you do get a bounce with the wheel landing get accustomed to some nose down stick to suppress and dampen it.

My airplane exaggerates this sinking tendency due to the clip wing. I have found that with full fuel, a passenger and warm temperature I keep the speed up to 70mph through the flare and then scrub off speed to get a touch down at 55-60 mph. I really hate to taking a passenger/student out for a nice ride and then show them an amateurish bounced landing for the finale.

You can also follow the change in stall-speed-with-gross-weight (speed roughly increases with the square root of the total aircraft weight ratio). Increase your speeds by that amount plus a few knots for safety factor.

Can practice with strapped in weight in increments as well. Some of the folks here strap in bags of corn meal. Not sure what others are using.

The only difference I notice with a passenger is the sink rate increases. Solo I pull the power to idle abeam the numbers and don't need to add any. Ususaly have to add some forward slip to touch down on the numbers.

With a passenger if I make all my turns at the same spots I need to add power on final to make it to the runway.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

You said what I was trying to convey in a more succinct manner. Namely, your speed need not change but you may have to use more power to attain the speed when carrying extra weight.
    Michael Meyers
    KF IV
    Las Vegas, NV

I basically do the same as TJ; since the sink rate is somewhat higher with pax I must start the flare just a touch earlier and maybe flare just a little more.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

My plane doesn't bounce nearly as high with a passenger. 😉
    Pete
    Leander, TX
    Model III SN 1000
    Grove

Thanks to all for your thoughts on this - it helps consolidate my thinking in the absence of other kitfoxers nearby - now to practice and perfect the technique!

r
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.
    Landcruiser and Cub off road camper (doesn't get any kudos on this forum!)

If I have my kids in the plane, I don't notice the difference, if I have
    somebody in the medium to large adult category there's a big increase
    in sinkrate. I generally don't have any problem with it, but I probably do
    a lot of little things to compensate (carry a little extra speed, and maybe
    some power into the flare, etc).

Get somebody fat and take them flying, and do a bunch of takeoffs and
    landings, that will help.

It's all about practicing the thing which you have problems with.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by rosslr View Post
    Well, I can sort of answer my own question but .... would love your thoughts/reflections from the wiser and experienced on this site...