Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Underwing camping

Default Re: Underwing camping

The chairs you show are the best I have found also, very comfortable and light weight and easy to stow. I carry two with me even if I am flying solo. With an extra chair set by my plane someone always comes along and sits and talks for a while. I got my chairs from Spencer Aircraft two years ago at Oshkosh.

Ross, since I am now running 6x8.00 with tubes, I just carry a standard automotive tube patch kit. For your Alaskan Bushwheels I have heard (hearsay) that they sell a patch kit made special for those tires, since you can't patch the inside it requires an external patch. I don't think the patch kit they have is the push thru spike type but I could be wrong. Maybe some true Alaskan bush pilots will chime in. Maybe Scott.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

First since I had lots of fairings and stuff on the empennage, I was limited to 20 lbs. in the baggage sack.

I have done a fair bit of under wing camping but have always flown solo. I will put clothing and other personal items into a carefully selected back pack and strap it into the passenger seat. I remember having to hike once when the group decided to sleep in beds overnight and it was great as most of the others were toting duffle bags.

My chair and yes it is a must, is a fairly normal sized camp chair and weighs 5.4 lbs. To this day when ever my wife and I are in stores and see camp chairs, we will always heft them for weight out of curiosity.

The tent is a two man low tent. Size was important as I fly in a IV with a standard baggage sack and it is probably kneel down height. My first one weighed a tad over 8 lbs and I always talked of going new if I could save half that weight. Three pounds saved pushed me over the edge and the new one weighs 5.2 lbs. - 5 without the sack.

The sleeping bag weighs 1.7 lbs. It is rated to 20 degrees, is down, mummy style and with a compression sack is tiny. I should mention that when storing between trips it is stored in a pillow case size bag so the down doesn't take a set and lose its loft.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

What a great thread, Ross!
    Thanks for the extra tips guys. This is fun!

I carry a foot operated pump, and with my days in a C170, I always try and carry a spare tail wheel tube.
    As with my Mountain Bike, I wrap it tightly in masking tape to protect it from being punctured over the years of rolling around in the luggage bay.

Rudder lock attached.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Love your rudder lock; simple, lightweight and compact. Gonna make one.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Your rudder lock is similar to the one I made. Same principle anyway.

Mike Bentley
    Model IV-1200
    Jabiru 2200A #438
    Rotec Aerosport LCH Heads
    Ellison EFS-2 Throttle Body
    Prince Prop (64x34)
    My SPOT Page