Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Mold on cargo bag

Default Mold on cargo bag

Anyone else had issues with mold on the cargo bag? I am doing the condition inspection and there is what looks like a grayish brown mold like stuff on the outside of the cargo bag. I know that the temp differences and humidity can cause condensation but I am shocked that there would be a mold issue. The plane is always in a hangar. I sprayed highly diluted bleach on it yesterday to see if it will clear it up.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Mold on cargo bag

I do horse drawn carriage restorations. I run into a lot of mold issues with carriages driven in the rain, stored in damp barns and slathered with horse sweat.

Stay away from the chlorine bleach. Even highly diluted bleach can change the color of your fabric cargo bag making it blotchy and ruining the appearance.

Remove the bag from the airplane for the cleaning.

To kill the mold use Oxy-Klean. About a teaspoon of the powder in a quart of water. WEAR GLOVES.

First get rid of any residual chlorine bleach by rinsing with lots of water. This will prevent damp clothing or fabrics that come in contact with the bag from getting an unwanted bleaching.

Next, Sponge down the fabric with the Oxy-Klean. The mold will disappear in seconds. Rinse thoroughly and let dry before reinstalling.

For mold prevention, use Lysol spray. It won't harm the cargo bag or hurt your aircraft covering. An occasional light misting will keep the mold in check and it smells nice.

John P

Excellent! I was trying to avoid taking it out but I guess it would be easier.

I didn't even think of Lysol to prevent it.

I'll give this a shot.

Thanks a million.

John, AKA Mr Clean! Sounds like you've done a few.

Paul Z
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

From what I have read on mold abatement (house crawlspace rot), bleach will not really kill the mold. Bleach is water based. The active parts will kill the surface mold, while the water base will soak down to the roots. Your best best is to fins some sort of "mold killer" and use it per manufacturers guidelines. IMHSEO (In My Humble Semi Educated Experience)...
    Jeff
    KF 5
    340KF

I killed some mold in carpet with uv light once.
    Pete
    Leander, TX
    Model III SN 1000
    Grove