Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tapes - pinked or plain?

Default Tapes - pinked or plain?

I'm going with Oratex and am wondering if pinked edges or plain is preferred.

Default Re: Tapes - pinked or plain?

Hi Tim, never got your last name in the private message.... Pinked tapes were supposed to hold better with old covering methods. I believe originally they frayed the edges of the cotton fabric. I have no idea if it matters with the Oratex though. Jim Chuk

Oratex uses strait edge tapes. I hear you should double up the glue layer to stick the tape on.

My belief is that straight edge tapes are best with Oratex. I think one of the main reasons for pinking the edges of any fabric is to minimize raveling. You don't have that problem with Oratex because it is pre-finished/sealed, and raveling is mostly eliminated. Since there isn't a layer of paint applied over the whole covered surface after finish tapes are applied, helping to hold down all those little pointy edges, the straight edged tape makes more sense to me. There is less exposed "edge" also. There were airplanes in times past that used straight edged tapes, but pinking is "standard" now. I've grown to like & prefer the look of the straight tape on my project, but you can't tell if they're straight or pinked from 10 feet away anyhow. You can get them either way from Oratex.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Ditto what John Evans said. He was a big help when I covered the elevator on my Kitfox as a test piece. ( Thanks John ) I like the smooth edge.
    Pete
    Leander, TX
    Model III SN 1000
    Grove

I placed my order today with plain tapes

Tim, have you got your order of Oratex? I spoke to Paul and Lars this past week and one of the questions I had was what the lead time was.
    I received an Estimate that was not entirely complete as Paul states he didn't have sufficient data on the SS7 and its measurements. Have you done research as to how much it would actually cost you to do the paint yourself with all the incidentals like putting a paint booth together, respirators, Paints and thinners etc. etc? I realize paint products can vary in price depending on the product.

I am doing a two color scheme so the total yardage is over the typical need for a single color. I haven't gotten my stuff from Germany yet. It seems to be a longer lead time than I thought.

I got a pattern from John Evens and it was very close dimensionally. I probably have the file on my pc. The only confusion came when I was laying out the width. Oratex has a couple of widths noted on their site. They guarantee 71 inches of usable width even though the actual width is wider. I think the manufacturing process ends up with waste on the edges. You can use it to pull as long as you only glue down no more than 71 inches of width.

Cost was $4800 so it's cheaper than the last plane I had painted for the paint job alone. It was an easy decision for me. If you are going to paint your plane yourself, it might not pencil out but for us builders that have never done fabric or painted before, it's an easy decision. I'm going to attempt a tricky two tone scheme. I will document my progress.
    Last edited by TahoeTim; 08-23-2016 at 05:16 PM.

Hi Guys,

I am planning to cover my 7 SS with Oratex 6000.

Need to know how much stuff to order though as the guide doesn't tell you.

I am planning on ordering about 25m x 1.8M of the fabric
    4 quarts of the glue
    The recommended tool kit

How much straight tape will I need and what width should I order?

Thanks in advance

Safe flying

Amer

Hello Amer
    I have my invoice. unable to attach it now but if need be I can later when on my own computer.
    I can report what it says verbatim. Sorry, different measures are used.
    I am building a SS7

I am using Silver and Yellow. Yellow is for the rudder and elevator. I suppose you'll have to add those together.

Oratex 6000 Fabric 1800mm x 1m silver qty 33
    Oratex 6000 Fabric 180cm (71") x 1m (39.37") qty 3
    Hotmelt Adhesive 1L qty 3
    Oratex pinked edge tape silver 100mm (4") x 25m (82') qty 1
    Oratex pinked edge tape silver 50mm (2") x 25m (82') qty 4
    Oratex pinked edge tape UL600 silver 25mm (1") x 25m (82') qty 2 I am using 1" tapes on my false ribs of the main wings only.
    Oratex pinked edge tape yellow 50mm (2") x 25 m (82') qty 1 I believe I will be ordering another. I don't think I have enough to finish the perimeter of the control surfaces.
    Unwaxed stitching thread 166m roll qty 1

I will PM you with the invoice later tonight. Just in case there is an error in my transcription. Plus it has all the misc. coding.
    Eddie