Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Model IV Rudder pedal AD

Default Model IV Rudder pedal AD

I have heard rumors about an AD for the Model IV rudder pedals.
    Something about extra gussets as the rudder might break without reinforcement. Does anyone have a link to the AD or pictures of what needs to be done.
    Thanks in Advance
    Norm
    Norm
    Airdrie Ab, Can
    North of Calgary
    Flying SuperFox Model IV

Default Re: Model IV Rudder pedal AD

Here's the Service letter. http://kitfoxaircraft.com/images/ser...ters/SL-47.pdf

In the catalogue upgraded pedals on page 31 and the kit to reinforce old pedals on page 32. http://www.kitfoxaircraft.com/images...-rev032916.pdf

Here's what I did.
    Rudder pedal cable reinforcement.jpg
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

Norm, on Kitfox Aircraft's website you can click on the "Home" button top left and a drop down menue will give you service letters and service bulletins.
    Under service letters look at number 46 for the rudder pedal problem. It does not show a fix in the letter so go into service bulletins and there is a drawing for a Vixen Model 5 reinforcement proceedure at number 38.

The riviting of the gusset worked.
    Most welded gussets in place to reinforce the vertical rudder pedal tube and another small gusset to reinforce the tube that the rudder cable attaches to.

This issue also affected earlier models too.
    Do a search on our site for rudder pedal reinforcement. The photo below came from a thread from a model 2 issue but is the same fix.

Here is a photo of a pedal assembly that has been reinforced.
    image.jpg

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Thank you DF4 and TJ. If I rmember right mine only has a gusset on one end of each pedal. On the list.
    Norm
    Airdrie Ab, Can
    North of Calgary
    Flying SuperFox Model IV

Sorry to be a naysayer, but I don't think the pictures shown are an answer to the problem of failure due to metal fatigue from the torque of the pedal attachment tube to the torque tube. The riveted fix in the drawing mentioned for the Series 5 does not resemble the welded triangular gussets pictured. The triangular welded gussets would be OK if they were welded tangentially on the surface between the two right angle tubes. Those welded mid diameter would help protect the 90 degree angle between the two tubes, but do very little to prevent twisting of the torque tube as it relates to the vertical tube. I discussed this issue with a friend this morning using a white board and his fix put the triangular gusset in the tangential position, but his preferential fix was the Series 5 fix, but welded in place after trimming and forming the "gusset" to the tube Contours. Incidentally, he is a veteran of the failure. He feels grateful he didn't have a center console, but that is another story.

Check out the "Great Gussets" article in the most recent Experimenter - page 26. It demonstrates both preferred Gusset designs.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

Well crap! At this rate I'll never get this airplane flying again. Now I have to take it apart again.
    Jay

This is a very important AD to be proactive with. I had a failure on landing and feel quite fortunate that I didn't wreck the plane. Admittedly, I went overkill on the fix but what the heck.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    -Aeropro CZ Aerotrek A240 Tri-Gear SLSA 912uls
    -Airdale Avid+ on CZAW Amphibs 'FatAvid Floater' (building)
    -Kitfox 4-1200 TD 912ul (sold)
    -Kitfox Model III TD 582 (R.I.P.)
    -Avid Flyer Mk-IV TD (sold)

Wow! Yeah, I admit that is a scary break. But I don't see the point of the heavy reinforcement 90 degrees to the point of stress. Seems to me they didn't use heavy enough tube. Is that the repair Kitfox recommended? Now sure where to turn at this point. I'm almost ready to break in a remaned engine and now this. Kind of a gut punch.

Just went to the Kitfox web site and printed all the SB's and SL's that I need to look at. That will keep me busy for a while. Not happy at all. What a mess.

Norm
    Here's a pic of my peddles , that I believe have the SB in question applied..
    Attached Images Attached Images