Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oratex matching paint codes?

Default Oratex matching paint codes?

Has anyone sourced matching paint for their Oratex project? (other than Oratex paint)

I have started my covering and want to plan ahead. I am using white and Fokker Red.

Thanks

Default Re: Oratex matching paint codes?

I will be using Oratex fabric as well. As Lars has stated, getting Oratex paint can be cost prohibitive due to shipping and environmental fees. Interested in Oratex paint? Maybe you might be interested in pooling our funds to reduce the shipping Hit? Lars mentioned this too me but nothing more than in passing.
    Eddie

What kind of paint do they use? Urethane?
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Sorry Josh, I am unable to get on the betteraircraftfabric.com web address from work for some reason. I don't remember what it is but its not available in North America I guess. Fee's and such are associated for those of us who want to contaminate the continent. I guess money talks.
    Eddie

Oracolor is a 2 part paint (base + hardener) - so guess is it's a urathane.

Why not go to a PPG auto paint supplier and have them color match with their spectrophotometer? They're pretty accurate nowadays and you can select the paint type of your choice, depending on the material you are painting.

Greg

Matching the Oratex color with another brand paint should be no problem. My understanding is that Oratex is compatible with most paint types. I'm using a PPG acrylic urethane for my fiberglass & metal parts, & small areas around the juncture between fabric & fittings, etc. The color, gloss, & durability matches the Kitfox powdercoat perfectly. The white Oratex is easy... it's really "white" like the powdercoat. Just take a small fabric sample to an automotive paint store & have them match it. Chances are the paint will be glossier than the fabric. With my airplane I don't care about that too much, but you can add a flattening agent to the paint to match the look more closely. If you're really into avoiding nasty paint fumes you can check with Stewart Systems. They have matched the red color for Gary G., another builder on this site... maybe he'll chime in. If you're going to use paint on the fabric itself, other than small touch-up areas, be sure it is flexible enough & right for fabric use. Some have actually used latex house paint on Oratex also. I saw an example that looked like crap, but he figured it out & it ended up looking pretty nice.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

I ended up getting some Limco single stage paint for my flaperons that was color match by a local store. When they color matched, they had some problems because the fabric is somewhat transparent. What I would suggest is to fold the fabric over so you have two layers, which is pretty much what you're going to have on the airplane anyway.
    John Grueter
    N188LR
    Kenosha, WI
    Series 7 Super Sport - flying!

Just make sure you get aviation paint if you have PPG or another company match it cause you don't want it to crack. I think PPGs aviation line is called Densothane. I also used Endura Aviation and they can match any colour you need with over 40,000 colours in their system.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Thanks guys. I guess it's not that big of a deal to color match. I'll have to get up to speed on which paint to use on the ailerons and cowl. One reason I chose Oratex is because I'm not skilled at paint. I guess I am stuck learning it anyway.

Believe it or not, there's a guy in Texas who has covered several super cubs with Oratex, & actually covered the cowl & other parts with it too. Seems like it would be pretty difficult to make it look good, at least for me.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime