Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Windscreen/Skylight

Default Windscreen/Skylight

Am ready to start the windshield project and not sure how to trim. Have differences of opinion on whether to trim skylight flush with butt ribs or leave an overhang. This is the Super Sport 7 by the way.
    Thoughts welcomed on which way has worked for some folks.

Default Re: Windscreen/Skylight

I left about 1/8" overhang and in hindsight I would do about 1/4" to make a better rain seal over the joint.
    The thing to be real careful about if you do an overhang is to make sure your butt ribs are fitted so the overhanging acrylic will easily slip over the wing fabric when you fold/unfold the wings, otherwise it will dig into the wing fabric and posiibly cut or tear it.

Jim

I agree with Jim. I left 3/8" over hang. I had to use a paper shim to rotate the wings under the windshield. I plan on tapering the edge of the windshield back to the but rib. Good luck Jeff.

Scott

It sort of doesn't matter, rain will easily go under it, so with or without the
    overlap you'll still get water. If you hardly ever fold your wings (I only do mine
    at annual) you could run a bead of silicone sealant along there for a much
    better seal ...

Regards,
    Jeff

I elected to simply make the windscreen edge even with the buttrib. I don't see this joint as waterproof in any case. My logic, for better or worse, was if the edges were even, there should never be any stress placed on the windscreen from this source nor any friction on the upper fabric at the rib.

For outside parking and camping, I purchased the fuselage cover which Kitfox sells....excellent product....great addittion to my Kitfox gear.

Dave S
    KF7 Trigear
    912ULS Warp Drive

I did the same as Dave, cover too.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

I have some detailed pics of a Factory KF LSA and it has the Acrylic trimmed even with the outside edge of the butt rib.I cut mine this way and agree with Dave S.'s line of thinking.Gary

Windshield trimming going well and was ready to start drilling some holes when I came up with a dilemma. If I drill through the middle of the capstrip the hole will go into the edge of the butt rib. Hence, no room for the nut . If I drill toward the outside edge of capstrip just enough to allow for the nut to fit up against the butt rib I will be on the edge of the plastic window when enlarging to 1/4" holes. All of my wing rib capstrips are 1" but the capstrip on the butt rib is 5/8".
    Any problem with having the mounting holes in plastic being close to edge. And yes, I trimmed even with the edge of butt rib. North Idaho Jeff

Smile Re: Windscreen/Skylight

Hey Jeff, I just finished the windshield on my series 6 last week. I too cut my windshield flush with the outside egde of the butrib. I drilled my holes on the inside edge of the but rib. This leaves plenty of room for the 1/4 " holes. Good luck and be extremely careful tightening the screws!!!!!!

Patrick
    series 6 builder

Jeff,Your cap strip on the Butt rip should be 1".The Butt rib is offset to the cap strip,not centered like the other ribs, allowing room for the nut with sufficient room to work with.Make sure you have the left and right Butt rib on the correct side of the fuselage.I hope this helps.

Jeff,It has been some time since I looked at my Butt rib so I have some corrected info.My Butt rib has a 5/8" wide cap strip on the bottom and a 11/16" wide cap strip on the top.The rib is off to one side leaving 3/8" to drill hole for nut and bolt.Keep the nut close to the rib for max edge distance.