Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Windscreen/Skylight

Default Re: Windscreen/Skylight

This is why some of the guys have been mounting the butt rib with the wider flange to the inside. It allows much greater edge distance from the holes.

Jim

Just for the sake of discussion... The latest and greatest I have from Homedale is that the windshield is fastened to inside of boot cowl with fasteners and sealant. Inside the windshield and under the nuts are clips made of .050 AL with slight opening/angle facing up that will be a receptacle for the forward edge of the glareshield. The glare shield is wedged into the clips and secured by the fasteners around edge of instrument panel.
    As far as screws attaching skylight portion to capstrip on butt rib, will keep holes as far inward toward rib web as possible and if necessary will remove small amount of plywood to accommodate edge of nut. Yay Dremel.
    My education continues.

This is the way I did it. Works great.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jeffbock View Post
    Just for the sake of discussion... The latest and greatest I have from Homedale is that the windshield is fastened to inside of boot cowl with fasteners and sealant. Inside the windshield and under the nuts are clips made of .050 AL with slight opening/angle facing up that will be a receptacle for the forward edge of the glareshield. The glare shield is wedged into the clips and secured by the fasteners around edge of instrument panel.
    As far as screws attaching skylight portion to capstrip on butt rib, will keep holes as far inward toward rib web as possible and if necessary will remove small amount of plywood to accommodate edge of nut. Yay Dremel.
    My education continues.
    I just came across this thread again. I've been thinking since the very beginning that it would be good to make the glareshield easily removable. Has the builder's manual ever been updated to reflect this change? Anyone have a picture of the "clips" described here by Jeff? I've also thought that fastening the windshield to the boot cowl with screws would be good. How many screws & what spacing has been used? Any pictures that can be shared would be appreciated very much. I sure do wish that when Kitfox finds a different way of doing something that may be better than the previous, that they would share & publish that for the benefit of builders not there yet, and maybe update the building manual. There may be some perceived reasons for not doing that, perhaps legal or otherwise... ?
    Last edited by jrevens; 10-08-2016 at 10:23 AM.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Hi John, If I wasn't very clear let me give it another shot. Windshield attached to bootcowl with two beads of 3M stripping and machine screws.
    Under each nut on inside I put my little angle brackets, angled about 20deg. Having them all the way around bootcowl/windscreen matchup allows the glare shield to wedge right in to them. I have 6 screws attaching glareshield to brackets on top of instrument panel. Takes about 1-2 minutes to remove glareshield to access behind panel. 3-4 minutes to reinstall. Happy with what I did!
    Am away from home but will look up my photos for you. I have not yet tried to post pictures on Forum so if you want to E me at 747200jock@gmail.com I will send to you. Jeff

Here are a few pictures of how I did mine.
    The first picture shows a strip of acrylic taped under the boot cowl. This was a scrap trimmed from the windshield that allowed me to fit the glare shield without having the whole windshield in the way.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Rotax 912ULS / Whirlwind Prop
    Garmin G3X Touch

Jeff - Your description was very clear, I was just thinking a few pictures would be good... I always like to see specifically how others have accomplished things.
    Thank you so much!

JohnB - Very good! I like your use of the scrap acrylic.

Again, thank you both very much!
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime

Very nice. Thanks for the photos. Not quite there yet but its helpful to see in photos what it is I have ahead of me.
    Eddie

Where the windshield tucks inside the vertical fuselage angles on both sides, what are most current builders using to cushion/seal between the windshield sides and the fuselage structure, if anything. I am guessing maybe silicone sealant. Is anyone using some of the foam tape as used on the butt ribs?
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime

Quote Originally Posted by jrevens View Post
    Where the windshield tucks inside the vertical fuselage angles on both sides, what are most current builders using to cushion/seal between the windshield sides and the fuselage structure, if anything. I am guessing maybe silicone sealant. Is anyone using some of the foam tape as used on the butt ribs?
    I used the foam tape and it seems to be working. After having said that, the plane is new. I'll find out how durable this is when I start flying.