Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Current builder willing to talk to Prospective builder?

Default Current builder willing to talk to Prospective builder?

Hello to all. I am hoping to get in touch with someone who has built a Kitfox (or 2). I am very interested in building a 7, but I am a little intimidated by the construction process. I am very interested to hear about the entire process from someone who has done it. FWIW, my other option is the CH750 Cruiser. I know, I know. The Kitfox is SO much prettier. The build time on the 750 just seems less frightening to a new builder. Feel free to post on here or PM me.

Default Re: Current builder willing to talk to Prospective builder?

HI Pics,

I am sure you will get a lot of replies here from others much more experienced than myself. However, I suggest you look at the many build blogs on this site that will give you a fairly realistic and frank accounts of the process. I am nearly finished the covering process and haven't found anything beyond my very basic skills - thanks to the thorough manual and the amazing support on this site. I too looked at the Zentih initially and flew in both it and the Kitfox - they are a world apart in performance. Anyway, sit back and joy the opinions you will get here and ask heaps of questions in response - getting the decision right at this stage will ensure heaps of satisfaction later!

Best Wishes

Ross
    Mt Beauty
    Oz

Russ,
    I have built two Model IVs and helped finish a Series V. I have to agree with Ross' assessment. The manual is top notch. Then there are active builders with ongoing reports so lots of help there. In another post you mentioned covering. I am currently increasing the area and adding a trim tab to an elavator for a friend who has an Avid. He wanted to do a little hands on with the fabric and it went well. I am familiar with the Polyfiber process and it is pretty much fool proof. Lots of steps, but each one that follows gives some opportunity to see and fix little issues that become visible as you go. You likely will cover the rudder first and once done with that, you should be ready to tackle a part a bit more complex. The fuselage is usually last and that would be most challenging, especially the area around the vertical stabilizer base.

A look at the manuals from the various covering suppliers might be helpful as you decide.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

Picsf340

Though I am not a builder (I bought my KF already built) I have opinions about the Zenith and the Kitfox, that lead me to buy a KF. I am not sure how complicated a Zenith is to build (although I suspect the Cruzer goes together a lot better than some of the older models) as compared to a Kitfox however I think the Kitfox is a much more useful airplane. The Zenith is good at getting off the ground short and then the draggy airframe (even with the faster wing) won't take you anywhere very fast. The Kitfox gets off short too PLUS it goes much faster. My old Model 5 does 120 mph with no trouble at all, and looks good doing it. The Zenith will always be a box-like airplane no matter what kind of paint job, cowl inlets or wheel pants are hung on it.

My 2 cents.

Skot
    Kitfox Vixen 912 ULS
    N24V at C29

Thanks for the info and PM's. I really appreaciate your knowledge and input.

I am curious about the component kits vs. buying the entire kit at once. If I purchased the Kitfox one section at a time, could I actually do any work, or do I really need to get the entire thing? I just dont want to finance any of the plane. Thanks again fellas.

Biggest difference will be freight. I don't believe it costs any more to buy the kit in stages, but you could probably save in freight costs if you buy it all at once.

Russ,
    I think I am with you on this one. Kitfox is a great hobby, but financing? Don't thinks so.

My thoughts on buying components. I would hope the covering materials are included in each component kit. My only concern there is that if you took each component kit to completion through covering, you would want to be very thorough in your planning, i.e. running wires and tubing - example - nav and anti-collision lights and pitot and static port. You could take each component to completion through final finish which would spread out the costs a bit. Working weekends and evenings, my first project took five years. The second about two as I was retired by then.

Typically the fuselage is worked on first and the other parts just take up space in your garage or hangar until you begin working on them. shipping was mentioned. It is a good point, but theoretically if you paid the factory or a local facility to store the unused components while working on the current part, the shipping differences would be a wash and no chance of hangar rash or dust accumulating on the "stored" parts - everything would be factory fresh.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

I don't have any hard figures to back this up. Merely an observation that I believe to be true. Airplane kits purchased in stages rarely get completed.

Sometimes it is the builder that runs out of enthusiasm or funds. Other times the airplane is started with a partial kit and the kit manufacturer went out of business before the builder could purchase the remaining sub-kits. If you do decide to give it up, it is fairly easy to sell a complete package. Selling a partial kit is a problem.

I always recommend you purchase the entire kit at once.

John

If I purchased the Kitfox one section at a time, could I actually do any work
    Absolutely YES.

I'm on my 2nd Kitfox purchased in partial kits only. My model 4 was completed and flying in 15 months buying only the fuselage kit from the factory.

I just finished my Super Sport 7 fuselage kit through covering in a little over 3 months. It sits awaiting paint booth space to open up while I do a hose refresh on my model 4 Rotax engine.
    IMG_0014 (1024x576).jpg

IMG_0020 (1024x576).jpg

My 2 cents- if you can't swing the entire kit purchase but really want to get building then the best bet is to get the fuselage kit first. You can complete it to covering with all included materials. Obviously the tail feathers are included also.
    The fuselage represents somewhere around 70 % of your entire kit build time if wiring , landing gear, engine mounting, cowling fitting are considered.

My only concern there is that if you took each component kit to completion through covering, you would want to be very thorough in your planning, i.e. running wires and tubing - example - nav and anti-collision lights and pitot and static port.
    I have only one set of wires running to the tail and that is the trim system wiring that comes with the fuselage kit. I do have my comm radio antenna mounted in the vertical stabilizer so I have a comm co-ax cable run to it. Most other wiring is in the cockpit or behind the panel except wing lights, pitot tubing ect.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear